Nvidia 9 series

dual-core isn't the problem. it's about whether the dual-core technology is within the chipset, or externally linked by using up an SLi.

the 8800 is not dual-core though.

Actually the picture shows them in Quad SLi. Each card runs with 2 GFX chip by default. So running 2 cards effectively give you Quad SLi since there is 2 GPU's per card. With the power requirements and space requiremetns for those cards there is no way you could get 4 in a case. :tongueout:

Actually i saw this news article just last week about the new 9 series. That is what it had said. :wink:

It is something about the GX2 line that they put 2 GPU's on 1 card. Just like the 7950GX2 card. It had 2 GPU's on 1 card so it was like running SLi thru a single card and running Quad thru 2 cards. Interesting concept.

I would really like to see the benchmarks on this. I mean if you can get 2 GPU's on a card that would be like a Core 2 Duo or similar card. Which in theory should make it more powerful with less resources. That is why you can get a C2D at 2.2GHz yet it runs just like a P4 @3.4GHz.

Well just an update on the 9 series heres something more official about the 9 series:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB G94 Tested :: TweakTown
AnandTech: Bringing Competition to Midrange: The GeForce 9600 GT Raises NVIDIA's Sub $200 Bar

They both say that its supposed to be out and its found on Newegg:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

But i have a question, they have like ten different types with same specs (Asus, Gfx, Evga) are these sepending on the motherboard or what?

No.

nVidia makes the GPU (the CPU for the graphics card). Then individual companies (like eVGA, BFX, and so on) take the parts and connect it to whatever they like (xxx amount of memory, VGA or DVI, HDMI outputs, video input, etc.)

But they all end up doing the same exact thing because it's much cheaper that way. So, yeah, no difference between the cards.

Guru is right. It is kinda like AMD. They make the CPU but they dont make the motherboards. Just like that. nVidia makes the GPU and these companies make the rest of the card for us to use. :wink:

I have seen the 9600GT for sale at about $150 which was real nice looking for that price. If only i had the $$ to get it....

To clarify: technically nVidia also makes a complete video card, but it's given to the other companies (it's called a reference card) so they can copy the features they like, remove the ones they don't, and add what they want.

That's why most cards end up being the same: they take the reference board and use it pretty much as-is.

To clarify: technically nVidia also makes a complete video card, but it's given to the other companies (it's called a reference card) so they can copy the features they like, remove the ones they don't, and add what they want.

That's why most cards end up being the same: they take the reference board and use it pretty much as-is.

I think the cards they sell are also used in OEM machines. My Dell 8400 has a nVidia 6800. It isnt a EXGA or XFX or anything like that. It just reads nVidia. So i think aside from the reference boards they have OEM boards as well.

Well yes but you can understand my point on this. Guru was saying that they give out these cards to othher vendors. At the same time they also allow their cards to be used. Not just the ones they release to the vendors. :tongueout:

^

Yes i understand, they give vendor only products to Computer Manufacturers. While the Video Card Companies get the same Blank sleight to build something up from (like guru said, they are given a Chip and basic board. From that they add different input ports and cooling devices. :tongueout:

completely uinderstood now ^_^

dont expect the 98** to be any where near the price of the 9600, they wanted to make the 9600 mid range, to try to kick out ATI's mid range card.

from what im reading about the 9800 its not that much better than the 8800. Are there any other ones other than these two?

from what im reading about the 9800 its not that much better than the 8800. Are there any other ones other than these two?

The GeForce 9600 GT is made up of 505 million transistors at 65 nm and contains 64 stream processors, compared to the 8800 GT’s 112, and the 8800 GTS 512MB’s 128.

I think its more then okay for a card under $200.

Back