Opera? No, thanks.

I just tried vanilla IE7, and it appeared with the large white space but immediately corrected the alignment with a second screen write. I tried other threads (all of which I've previously read) and IE7 did multiple writes, jumping around in the thread to an old post as if that was my "last read" position, though I have already read the whole of the thread with Maxthon !
Where is the "last read" info kept ? In a cookie ? That would mean that IE7 and Maxthon (which uses IE7 engine, cache, cookies, favourites etc) are not in sync despite apparently using the same data sources.

Addendum:

There's something strange going on. Having opened this thread with IE7, Maxthon now corrects the alignment automatically, (though evidence of the leftward shift is still present because it drags the "chip-in" flash across to the centre)
And IE7 is giving me oldest first whereas I've requested newest first in my options, so presumably IE7 and Max are keeping completely separate cookies in the same store, but they are somehow interacting !

Last edited:
"Last read" info is currently stored in the database so it's kept in-sync across mulitple PCs and/or browsers for a single user account.

Check if there's a "#somenumber" at the end of the URI in the address bar - vBulletin uses it to indicate which post the browser should jump to on that page.

To the best of my knowledge MX2 and IE7 don't share cookies. I believe the "newest first" vs "oldest first" option is also stored in the DB - are you sure they're both logged in as the same user?

You were right CG. The difference was that IE7 didn't have me logged in, so I was just viewing as a guest. As soon as I logged in on the IE7 window, it redirected me and the previous left alignment disappeared, with the thread jumping to the right exactly as in Maxthon.
So something in my profile is making this thread different to all the others, not something in the browser rendering !

Addendum:

Now I'm logged in three times simultaneously with Maxthon, IE7 and Opera (9.24) and I can't understand Ron!n's last post, because both Max and IE behave the same (as I'd expect - same engine) but Opera doesn't, so the behaviour is being governed both by the browser and my profile. It doesn't happen in Opera, whether logged in or guest, It doesn't happen in IE as guest, but it does happen in Max and IE if logged on. !

Addendum:

Oh - and as a complete aside - I've never used Opera before for this forum, so I didn't know CG that your Av was animated ! The IE7 engine shows it as static.

Last edited:
The IE7 engine shows my avatar as static!? It's a GIF file - pretty straight forward...

/me checks
Sorry Terry, it's animated here...

Ah - It's me. I've had play sound and play animation in web pages turned off for about 8 years, since the days of very slow connections, and a particularly annoying website that kept a drone of ghastly new age "music" playing when I was trying to read. I've just turned animation on and there you are - shimmering away.
Strangely though, I'd forgotten those settings were unticked, because GIFs in other sites have been animated and the JanAkkerman site I mentioned last week has rather better music playing quite audibly. So I'm unsure what are the criteria for what those options are suppressing. I assume it's yet another example of web pages being coded without adhering to standards.

Addendum:

And I've had a quick look at the members list and see that Peter and Ali are animated too - very swish, all of you - (Thinks - Now what can I do to animate my Av )

Last edited:
lol - a 3d animated avatar!? That would really be something - like the 3D IMAX movies except stuck in a tiny box :lol:

Yeah that would really look nice.
What i meant is that by viewing this page in IE, Firefox and Opera it looked the same (without the jump to the right thing) so i though it was a Maxathon thing. But it turns out its something with your profile.

Back