Opera? No, thanks.

^ thanks mak ^_^

also, im having troubles with this site in opera: http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1640983

i get this error:

Code:
Error!
Could not connect to remote server

You tried to access the address http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1640983, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.
Try pressing the F12 key on your keyboard and disabling proxy servers, unless you know that you are required to use a proxy to connect to the Internet. Reload the page.

I get that error alot but i just keep pressing refresh and it usually works.
My computer is the exact opposite of yours. Opera will open instantly (almost as fast as IE) but FF will take some time.

^ your processor is also a bit better then mine, i am still in the single core :frowning: also you have a Gig more of RAM then me

Kahai i am on a single CPU as well. But i have 3GB of RAM. That site opened for me just fine.

Like i said i dont understand why the stable version isnt working for you. It works for me just fine. That is why i suggest it. I really do not know why it would give you such a hard time compared to me. :S

you should register at that site, it hosts images for free ^_^ and as far as i know there isnt any limit of any kind

Alright Kahai. From my source, AKA a friend of mine form another site who is all about Opera :tongueout:, says that from his knowledge Freifox loads the page and elements as they download. Opera on the other hand waits till all the elements are there then renders the page. Unless the page is huge then it does it in sections.

why cant i save an MP3 file through file save as?

i was listening to an mp3 in opera and i wanted to save it (quicktime opened it)

and when i went into save as, there was only options for saving the page as HTML and such

In firefox when the page is a MP3 file, and i save page as, it allows me to save the mp3

:frowning: i had to move the link over to firefox to download it

so save it as all files and specify.

i just think its nicer that FF understands if the webpage is a mp3 or windows media file or what not.

IT is most likely cause the page is not coded to meet Acid2 standards. :wink: Remember that Opera is the only browser that is final that renders a page according to these standards. Firefox 3 and IE8 are in Beta. Safari is rarely used.

So it could be something to do with the coding of the site that allows Firefox and not Opera to understand that it is a certain type of file. It could also be a extension like download them all or something like that as well.

but, i was actually on the mp3 page, so thats just weird to me, and i have been able to do it with FF forever, with or without extensions. i think i can even do it in EI, ill check...

okay EI just opens a save box, and FF still lets me save as an mp3 file type (if it matters it comes up at winamp file type)

and opera still doesnt say anything but html when i go to save as...

and if FF which doesnt pass acid 3, uses somethign under acid 3, why cant opera, which can pass acid 3, read a page the that uses coding under acid 3? (im trying to understand the logic there in your post)

The coding for each site is done differently. So if the site is coded specificalyy for passing acid2 standards tehn Opera would be acting properly. firefox would not be. But most sites change the code to add stuff in for Firefox or IE. That changes the way the page acts.

Take any Microsoft site. Go to it in IE. You see it reads and responses nicely. Everything is in order and it acts great. Now go there in Firefox. It reads and respondes nicely but there are some aspects you still can not render in Firefox cause of ActiveX (A Ie only thing). Now go there in Opera. the site does not read or react any way you would expect it to. Same site. Same coding. Different effect.

Now if a site is coded to act differently per browser like Microsoft is then you will get different results. It is the same in IPB forums. I see the code all the time for it where there is bits added in specifically for Firefox, IE and now Safari as well.

So if the site does pass Acid2 then what opera does is the correct response. But just by adding a simple line of code they can change that effect to respond differently in Firefox or IE.

I am simply just stating that it sounds like the site is coded directly for Firefox which is not surprising. Which is why IE and Opera act differently when doing the same task.

but i mean, does the MP3 that i open in the browser and starts with quicktime really based on the coding? isnt that something that the browser does?

i just would like it if i could just save page as and have the mp3 file type be preselected, makes it easier then if i have to type it out

That is something the browser does. It is in the coding of the browser to do that. At least from my knowledge. You would have to ask Mozilla or the Opera people about it.

If it is just easier to do it in Firefox the do it that way. There is things in every browser that is not in others. Me i would type it out. I hate the file names that those people use anyways and would rather name it myself so that i knew what it was rather than use some obsecure name that they give it.

Actually, Opera is just missing that functionality Mak.

I've never been prompted to save any file except as .HTML; always having to manually specify the type. For me it's not a big deal, but I can see it being a bit of a problem for a lot of people.

I'm still using Firefox 3 nightly builds - while they're missing some really nice features from Opera I'm liking the regular updates and - I never thought I'd say this - the memory consumption. Opera Kesterl builds have a really bad memory leak, they need to get that fixed ASAP.

Just to throw in a possible non-browser comment - Why does this thread jump half a screen to the right ?
It's the only thread that isn't left-justified. Is it because it was created using one of these Beta build browsers ? Or is it only Maxthon that sees a large empty space in the left margin ?

Back