Opera? No, thanks.

Remove Fasterfox. Then test the browsers with just the default settings. You will see Opera is faster.

They are off now (and i was on Courteous), i restarted both programs, both opened to the homepage, myspace, and i hit log on for both of them within less then 1 second of the other. FF timer for page loading finished slightly sooner then opera's little thing on the address bar, showing what is left to load.

i have been using opera all day, and im not finding things i like in FF. and seeing as i just got safari (from apple update) that seems nice too. but FF is still what i like. i dont care much for the others. i like my extensions. can opera do this:

Jryy v ernyyl qbag xabj, ohg vg zvtug or noyr gb. (and im not going to tell you what i did :tongueout: figure it out your self lol)

But that is the thing with Firefox. It is the extensions that make up the browser. It is not the browser itself that draws people to it. Get rid fo the extensions. Would you still use Firefox? At least Opera conforms to the Acid Standards. Firefox is as bad as Internet Explorer in that aspect as it ignores all standards to try and compensate for itself.

The head guy of Firefox dev slammed the guys who created Acid3 cause he says ti bogu and that Firefox wont conform to it cause they dont feel that the test shoudl be a standard. Sounds like what Microsoft used to say about IE and Acid2 but yet even they are turning the page and going toward the Acid tests and trying to get more standard.

If Mozilla continues on their way Firefox will get blasted by coders of sites cause then they will have to add code to conform to Firefox instead of coding the sites to meet the standards. Or to have code added to be viewed in IE right.

Right now only Opera or Safari are correct in the display of a site since they are the only browsers that pass the Acid2 test and Acid3 tests with the nightly builds. So when looking at a site thru Opera is how it really looks. Viewing it in IE or Firefox is not right.

But this is just my opinion. I have used Firefox more and more cause of my use of Ubuntu and the fact that Flash doesnt work right on Opera there. But i still use Opera more than anything cause it is by default better and faster. Firefox is only good cause of the extensions. Which most of them you can get for Opera as well. But people dont want to work to get them on there. Meh. What can ya do.

this is understandable

however, from what use i have been having with it today, i just dont seem to get things done, i click something and it doesnt load the link, and i have to click it again (sometimes, it might me though lol)

does your opera have a Leet Key extension: Leet Key :: Firefox Add-ons

this is one of the few extensions that i actually use, in fact its the only one i use daily, and i only have like four extension for FF anyways.

also, for tabs, were is the right click menu - undo close tab? hm?

Last edited:
Funny that you mention it the double clicking thing happens with me but in Firefox not Opera thats why i prefer opera

Opera does not have the Restore closed tab feature. I will give Firefox that. But yet again there is a lot that Firefox has stolen from Opera.

All in one sidebar
Speed Dial

Just to name 2 things i know of off hand.

As for the Leet Key i do not see that Script replacement in the Opera Community site. But i am sure if you talked to a few people there they would be able to get it working for you. :wink:

I do like the Fox. But in all honesty it is the extensions that make it so much better. I use Personas, Smileys Xtra and a few others all the time. I wish i had them in Opera cause they are nice. But for pure browsing i use Opera. When i want to get some new smilies or when i need teh BBCodeXtra i use Firefox.

^ wow

i'm just so used to it being in the right click, not as undo lol

i still wont be one over to opera until there is a Leet Key, and at that, make it a better one then FF has. and then ill switch over

i'm still have troubles with it being a little bit slower, like loading submission pages, it usually dies out half way through.

you say there is speed dial in FF, but it would be an extension right?

i do like that little function.

now, on to saying one stole somethign from someone else.

seeing as what kind of world we live in, everything is open and on the internet.

so for things like who had something first or not, does it really matter?

if opera were completely open source then there really would be this discussion both things being taken, would there?

Personally though, i have never had any problems with FF ever. and i have never run into "rendering" problems. maybe Mozilla doesnt want to conform to Acid tests, is because they are open-source, they dont need to conform to anyone but what the majority of users says, now. If a large group of users, actually cared about Acid tests, and knew what they meant, and that FF doesnt pass them as well as opera does. People might switch over, and with a large enough move away from FF (millions of people) maybe they would think about conforming.

This is just my opinion.

---

edit note: ok so where is the Spell check while typing huh? i know FF does this, and i have to actually tell opera to check for my errors.

On a bright note, note: im amused by the Voice (V) ^_^ (try out "FF" on Voice lol)

Last edited:
Opera's spell-cecking is lacking indeed.

Another little secret: I've been using Firefox nightlies as my current default browser - I really like the improvements since the last beta build.

NOOOOOO
how can you break the Opera pact?
And is it Opera's spell-checking or websites dont work with Opera?
(what i mean is the spell-check in Opera or on the website itself?)

NOOOOOO
how can you break the Opera pact?
And is it Opera's spell-checking or websites dont work with Opera?
(what i mean is the spell-check in Opera or on the website itself?)

It is Opera's. No site has a built in Spell checker AFAIK. Reason...hard to keep it up to date. So it is Opera's.

You have to use Aspell or use the ones from the Opera Community. Like Orangoo. The easiest way i found to get Opera's spell checker working. Install Pidgin first with the spell checker there. Is has Aspell built in and will isntall it with whatever dictionary you want. After that if you want jsut remove Pidgin. :grinning:

^ mak i use pidgin :tongueout:

but does that really add in line (while typing spell checking?)

and i have the dictionary installed. i even got a couple more :tongueout: (jargon and another english one)

the right click to find out is getting annoying

---

good job Guru, lol

^ mak i use pidgin :tongueout:

but does that really add in line (while typing spell checking?)

and i have the dictionary installed. i even got a couple more :tongueout: (jargon and another english one)

the right click to find out is getting annoying

---

good job Guru, lol

No for inline spell checking you need to search thru the Opera Community Forum for Orangoo. they have a inline version that works with Opera there that you can use. Javs Script. I does work. I have it as well. But dont use it as much as the Aspell.

i dont know what it is, but if i leave from viewing Opera, (to draw on inkscape) it somewhat stops downloading the webpage, and this is not just on myspace, its on this website as well.

also, is there any difference in what is rendered first, between FF and opera, if there even could be.

and switching tabs seems to be slower on opera as well for me, compared to Fire fox.

Is it common to have opera get up over 100,000K of Ram with only two tabs open? i know it takes at least 6 or so (of full pages, not just images or something) to bring it up to that much used RAM.

idk, it is still slower for what i have used it thus far.

Well as i have said for other people. It is about preference and the machine they work on. While Opera may be slower for you and Firefox faster, for me it is the opposite.

I have worked with Opera for a few years now and never really used Firefox. So i notice the differences right away.

We can go back and forth and give out examples and sit here with speed test and never get the same results twice.

It is a shame you have such issues with Opera. It really is a great browser once you get used to it.

^ true

and i like it, i like the little things it has, but it just has been giving me slow ness

we will see what opera is like with the next stable version. (and hey, i never said i didnt like it :tongueout: )

currently i use both FF and Opera at the same time.

I am in the same boat Kahai. I use Firefox for many things now. More so than before when i was just strictly Opera. I have grow to love Firefox. but Opera is still my Fav.

Back