Opera? No, thanks.

Well they tested Ie, Safari but not Opera. When will these people start to take Opera seriously.

On a side note the new version of Safari for Windows is out. 3.0.4 is the newest version and i must say it isnt all that bad. I have been using it since i installed it this morning. while it is no replacement for Opera it is starting to shape up to be a fine browser for Windows.
Really? I will have to check it out then.

I thought it was just for Mac users uncomfortable on Firefox in Windows or something...

Hmmmmm....

That link you posted claims that Opera is the slowest at HTML rendering... quite the opposite of all the other (3rd party) benchmarks I've seen!

Addendum:

Well, I'm using it now.... I must say, it's quite user-friendly. I hate the crap "chrome" theme, but the visual effects (slight fade on everything, good font shading, highlighting of currently-selected elements) and the grammar checking are quite impressive.

We'll see how it goes :smile:

Addendum:

OK, I hate that while it supports the IE keyboard shortcuts (alt+s to submit a form, such as this reply) it doesn't support the AJAX used in vB: so ctrl+i doesn't give me italics, etc.

Last edited:
Yes it does use IE shorcuts and all. But here is something even better. You CAN use Safari to download updates from Microsoft. Even if you need to get a WGA code you can just download their little app, run it, then paste the code in and download the item you want.

So now not only can Firefox be used on most parts of Microsoft's site but Safari can as well. Which means i have to no longer run IE at all. :grinning: :lol:

Gah, I can't use it!

Why? Because shift+scroll (up|down) doesn't work!

In IE|Firefox|Opera|Konqueror|etc shift+mousescroll will do page-forward or page-backward and preserve form contents. For instance, I can shift+scroll right now to the page before, then shift+scroll back and this text will still be here in the quick reply box (definitely in Firefox and Opera, most of the time in IE7).. But Safari does not support this uber-nifty feature!

True. But also remember this. It is only a Beta. Submit things like that to apple and see if they will include it in teh next build. :wink:

Yes, I like their "submit a bug" feature... It's so easy to use :smile:
Makes it fun to report bugs (maybe MS can learn... the Microsoft Beta Client is... out of the way when you're doing a task and want to report a bug)

Back on Opera :smile:

It's a lot faster, despite the FUD on the Safari homepage. I tried it with an open mind (and used it exclusively during that time) and it's too slow.

For me. Not the program itself, but HTML render speeds and such.

For one thing, I have to wait till about 90% of the page is loaded before it actually shows - Opera and others will show what's been DL'd in real-time.

I just used Safari for about 10 minutes... yeah, its slow, pages wont open until at least 50% is loaded. :angry:

One night, 2 days ago, my firefox was down for some reason, and I had to use Opera and Safari for 8 hours.

Using Opera was pretty nice, but my habits and missing shortcuts were killing me. But all in all, its totally alright :smile: Oh I specially love the download in Opera.

Safari, on a first sight I thought wow.. this is something I could easy get used to, but alas, I saw some DAMN big things I don't like, bookmarks in Safari is so good, maybe even better then in firefox!

Okay, things I totally hate about Safari:

* If you would like to copy text that is linked, you select it, right click and copy, BUT, you get the copy of the link! There is NO way you can copy the text that links to somewhere.

* Selecting text has BIG problem, it annoys so much! Have you tried to select one character? Try it, maybe it will work, but for me, it didn't in a lot of tries. It simply wont select one character. After you see that, then you find out that it wont select anything, you move you mouse across the text, trying to select it, and it does nothing! After some suffering while trying to select your text, it will somehow start working, then you'll be able to select even one character... and some minutes later.. again not working. That was SOOOOO ANNOYING!

* Safari has some serious problems with copying from it and pasting somewhere else, in another application for example. Sometimes it has problems doing it even within it self (if I try to copy and paste something in another tab for example). Yeah, here there was a lot (5+ times) of copy, paste and you get nothing, again and again, and finally it lets you paste what you wanted, but some minutes later, you get the same problem.

---
I used these 2 for 8 hours, 4 hours each. Anyone had this problems with Safari, like me?

Last edited:
I stopped using Safari since my last post, but I've also removed it from my PC as of yesterday - stupid Apple kept on asking me if I'd "like to benefit" by downloading a "free" version of iTunes and QuickTime - both of which I keep a minimum of several network shares away :tongueout:

I originally liked the Safari copy thing - for instance, when I would copy a text link, it would keep the text + the link in the background, but if I pasted it into a text-only (non-WYSIWYG) editor, only the text and not the link would be retained.

I have experienced those bugs as well. But i have also reported them to Apple to try and get them fixed. :wink:

Oh...

Well done, Mak :smile:

For some reason my Firefox removes proxy setting and puts it on direct internet connection, and I have no idea why... :angry:

i've been user of IE version 6<< and it's been hell, will never switch back for the sake of the trauma.

then the firefox's age, truly enjoyed it.

but it find the red O and it's wonderful, only sometimes use firefox for some sites :tongueout:

why i love opera?
1. Mouse gestures: u have this with extensions in firefox but it does not really do the job fast enough, and i hate XPIs - update them everytime new build's out.

#sarge, pressing shift+enter gave you lnks in bakground tab in ff, didn't you? well in opera - i right click the link, hold it, bring it down a bit, bring it up n release, there you go. ^_^

and more: back and forward with hold right click + move right or left.

2. fast: well it's been an ongoing battle about this particular subject but i can guarantee you opera is the fastest in terms of text pages. and it renders the page as the data comes and it (well probably just my human mind) feels faster.

3. to search with the built in google search box in ff? well u haven't met "create search" in opera. if i put "g neosmart" in the address bar, it automatically search "neosmart" in google. and after creating a search entry with wikipedia, no i can "w neosmart", then it displays search results from wikipedia. all you have to do is go to the search engine (any will do), right click the box and pick "create search", choose a letter.

5. ability to surf without pictures, and/or flash, activex, javascript with just two clicks away. in my country which internet connection is slow i treasure this stuff.

6. built in download manager which is quite good. i have the feeling it's faster than ff somehow, but i don't know, never compares..

but ff also have advantages: opera memory uses is almost linear to the total of tabs/pages open. and its speed degrades in pages/tabs count of more than 15 in my old machine. ff never do that.

PS: tried safari built for xp but it sucks. takes a minute to show itself and another minute to render a page..

Back