Tri-boot (Vista, XP, Wubi Ubuntu 8.10) problem [SOLVED]

We don't mind thread hijacking here (most of the time anyway) since it means more information on a topic can be found in one place :smile:

Is there some code CG could put up to auto-wordwrap code-tagged text here? I hate having to horizontally scroll to read stuff >.<

Only Mods can close threads I think.
Doesn't very often happen though, they tend to get started up again when someone googles the thread with the same problem.
I've seen some forums where they get really p*ss*d off when someone does that instead of starting a new thread of their own, but nobody much cares how you ask for help round here.

Alright...cool enough! :smile: I would have of course preferred to mark my thread as "solved"...but since it seems that that is not possible at the EasyBCD forums...oh well! :huh: I guess it can remain open still, since all of my problems are not solved as yet! :lol: I'm still looking for XP drivers for my SATA controller...so that I wont have to change it from AHCI to ATA every single f*ck*ng time i want to boot into XP, if I was in Vista last! :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

At least you found out that NeoGrub works for seeing any distro load up once added into the boot options. That's a far cry from where you were when first starting the thread.

Indeed...:lol: THAT'S a plus! :smile: Still like BootIT NG though...don't want to rely too heavily on NeoGrub! :tongueout:

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Is there some code CG could put up to auto-wordwrap code-tagged text here? I hate having to horizontally scroll to read stuff >.<

Good idea! :smile: I too hate having to horizontally scroll...its a pain in my...you-know-what! :lol:

Hopefully someone implements this! :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

We don't mind thread hijacking here (most of the time anyway) since it means more information on a topic can be found in one place :smile:

That...... would....... be....... a........ good....... thing....... to........ seeeeeeee.....! :lol:

Re-reading this thread, I decided I wanted to clear things up here (in case someone who comes along and reads this thread doens't get confused). :smile: My whole thing was that BootIT NG supports more than 4 primary partitions on a single drive, and has the ability to have separate boot items, each one updating the MBR to its own configuration details when you select the entry in the BING boot menu, and boot from it, meaning that the MBR partition table is *constantly changing* depending on which boot entry you select to boot into, and which partitions you chose to include for that boot entry. :wink: Of course I did not understand that when I first started this thread, and that is why the XP partition was not visible to the Vista OS when I was booted into it, at that point in time, because *the XP partition was not included in the MBR details for that entry*, so when I was selecting it to boot into Vista, the XP partition was thrown out of the partition table in the MBR each time (even after I manually put it back in, in the "View MBR" section of EasyBCD, in which you can manipulate the partitions that are loaded to the MBR). It was only later when I reinstalled BootIT NG (after both OSes-XP and Ubuntu-were installed), and the program automatically detected them and added them to the boot menu, that I was able to boot into XP and Ubuntu from the BING bootloader. Apparantely, that "View MBR" section of BING has the capability of changing the partitions that are loaded to the MBR for *the entry that was booted last*, so in the process of screwing around with that, I was able to keep the XP partition in the MBR partition table when the Vista entry was booted.

Of course, had I taken the time to investigate BING's "Boot Edit" feature where you can choose which partitions are loaded to the MBR for a particular entry, I would have no doubt noticed the fact that the XP partition was not included (originally) in the MBR Details for the Vista entry in the BING menu....and would have no doubt got my triboot working sooner. :S

Just was rereading this thread, and thought I would clear it all up. :wink:

Cheers,

Jake

EDIT: BTW, one of the mods might want to wrap
tags around the text in those couple of posts that I used
Code:
 tags instead, now that we've finally figured out where the problem with that lies...

Last edited:
Back