Ubuntu 7.10 Final

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more. Ubuntu is free software. With Ubuntu Desktop Edition you can surf the web, read email, create documents and spreadsheets, edit images and much more. Ubuntu has a fast and easy graphical installer right on the Desktop CD. On a typical computer the installation should take you less than 25 minutes.

The Ubuntu Promise

* Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
* Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
* Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
* Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

Download: Ubuntu 7.10 Final
Link: Ubuntu Home Page
Source: Neowin

Well i remember seeing that you were waiting for this while , i think its Ex-Brit, is waiting for the PCLinuxOS to be released.

Saw this and knew it would be useful for you.

I started to download it off an HTTP server but it was just too slow and overloaded so I switched to torrents - it finished much faster :smile:

Here's the torrent for the desktop x86 version CD (most commonly requested).

Attachments

• Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop i386.iso.torrent
    27.4 KB · Views: 2
Yesh i already downloaded and burned this to CD. It did take well over 2 hours to get this thru HTTP.
I just have to get my PC setup and maybe get this installed sometime soon.

Addemdum:

Alright so i booted from teh Ubuntu CD. It starts to load. Then all of a sudden my screen give me a whole bunch of flashing vertical lines. After a few minutes of nothing happening i hit a few keys and it ejects teh CD and boots back into Windows. So i am guessing that it doesnt like my GFX card now. I was so hoping to try and triple boot with Ubuntu, Vista and XP.

Last edited:
i went home for the weekend so i havent actually yet downloaded it

and i cant use the torrents

my university doesnt allow for torrents or anythign else p2p :frowning:

however i could just let it sit for a while and download it

i just order some more ram, 512 ddr sdram and then a new graphics chip; a geforce 8400 gs for 64.99 (that includes shipping ) from newegg.com

so i will be able to run vista better and linux as well! ^_^

So i have come to gather that Linux doesnt like my GFX card. It is a nVidia 6800. Cause not only will Ubuntu not load, but now GPArted gave me a error when i tried to load that as well.

So i am stuck i dont have a clue as to what to do now.

Sadly i see this is a common thing. I tried to even boot PCLinuxOS from their Live CD and got the same thing. So i guess i might just have to check out SuSe or jsut use VMWare like i did for PCLinuxOS to check it out.

The stupid thing is that Linux "volunteered" to trap itself from giving its users a good experience by picking the most self-restricting license out there.... It hurts them way more than it helps.

I have to agree. I have use VMWare to try both PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu. While not bad they dont offer me the wow that i am looking for to get me away from Windows. Let alone the fact that most of the software i need to use is on Windows.

SuSe is next. Time to downlaod a distro of that and check that out.

While SuSe isn't anywhere near as popular as Ubuntu is, it's made by Novell - which, as far as the "open source community" is concerned, is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Why? Because Novell did the smart thing and paid money to license some of Microsoft's technologies (mainly portions of .NET and some network stuff) to give their users a real desktop experience that wasn't anywhere near as painful - it's about as "free" of the GPL as Linux will ever get. Except in the eyes of the "community" it was betrayal.... :/

Last edited:
Well are we talking about openSuSe here? I am downloading that one right now. When i checked for SuSe before the Novell version came back as a paid service. Which i wasnt willing to try at that time. But now when i googled for Novell SuSe i found a eval version. Is that right? Since they bought some technologies you only get a eval.

If you have to pay for it then i really dont think i will use it. I mean i have paid version of every M$ OS. I dont think i would pay for soemthing that i cant even use all my apps on.

Try letting the live cd run until you hear the Ubuntu welcome screen sound from your speakers, then ctrl+alt+backspace, this will reload x-server and hopefully give you a screen you can see. This worked for me.

Mike

Well are we talking about openSuSe here? I am downloading that one right now. When i checked for SuSe before the Novell version came back as a paid service. Which i wasnt willing to try at that time. But now when i googled for Novell SuSe i found a eval version. Is that right? Since they bought some technologies you only get a eval.

If you have to pay for it then i really dont think i will use it. I mean i have paid version of every M$ OS. I dont think i would pay for soemthing that i cant even use all my apps on.
OpenSuSe and SuSe are more or less the same thing... SuSe comes with support and a couple of other little things geeks don't need :tongueout:

From Wikipedia:

openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise

Novell offers SUSE Linux under two major branches, openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise. The former, openSUSE, is a freely available, community-oriented distribution project that releases on a comparatively frequent basis and generally uses more recent versions of the various open source projects that it includes. The SUSE Linux Enterprise branch is Novell's commercial edition of SUSE Linux, which Novell releases much less frequently in order to offer long term support more effectively for enterprise production deployments.

Novell typically uses a version of the openSUSE distribution as a basis for creating SUSE Linux Enterprise. For example, SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 was derived from the foundation set by SUSE Linux 10.1 (now known as openSUSE 10.1). Novell states that the reduced number of packages is preferred for enterprise use, whereas general community users generally prefer a less specialized distribution with extensive options.

Addendum:

Try letting the live cd run until you hear the Ubuntu welcome screen sound from your speakers, then ctrl+alt+backspace, this will reload x-server and hopefully give you a screen you can see. This worked for me.

Mike
Will the Ubuntu setup process also work?

Going by the bug report @ LaunchPad, I assumed it doesn't work because the driver isn't there in the first place due to licensing issues - if it's fixable via ctrl+alt+bkspc, wouldn't that mean the driver doesn't really have anything to do with it? Or does it fall back to a generic VESA driver?

Last edited:

Mike

Well i can try this at least. Thanks for the tip.

I have openSuSe downloading and i will run that thru my VMWare and try it out at least.:??

I think it falls back to vesa, I don't know for sure. There's supposed to be some sort of safe mode that kicks in. I know ctrl+alt+backspace worked for me. Once into the desktop the Nvidia restricted drivers can be installed.

Mike

^ normally

when i C-A-B/ logout, it shuts down xserver/gnome, and takes me to the login screen, where i can choose gnome or KDE (and i can add enlightment (icky) and such) and then from there i can kill xserver and take me to text based

from text based, you can reconfigure xserver, this was my issue, i still cant get the free-based, or ATI-based drivers to work from my card, i get no acceleration :frowning:

but it workes, i still have one little messed up area in the menu buttons and time :frowning:

so basicly when reconfiguring xserver, keep hitting enter, (and tab sometimes to go to enter place) and just let everything normal set up auto, this is safest

idk if you can do that on Live CD and i dont want to try lol

Back