5 OS booting capability was working in the following configuration,

MBR: Use Vista bootloader to chainload Linux bootloaders installed in /boot,
sda1 (hd0,0): Vista OS partition, with EasyBCD 1.7.2, and Ubuntu 64-bit Wabi,
sda2 (hd0,1): Vista recovery partition,
sda5 (hd0,4): Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, logical partition
sda6 (hd0,5): Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit, logical partition
sda7 (hd0,6): BackTrack 4, logical partition
sda8 (hd0,7): linux swap.

I elected to install ubuntu-9.10-beta-desktop-i386 on sda5 with a reformat to ext4 journaling. I also clicked the advanced button on install page 8 out of 8, and elected to install Grub2 in /boot. I verified Ubuntu 9.10 Grub2 files exist on sda5/boot by booting Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit on sda6 and exploring Places sda5, sda5/boot, and sda5/boot/grub.

Uninstall EasyBCD 1.7.2, install EasyBCD 2.0 Beta.

Attempt 1: Launch EasyBCD 2.0, delete old entryfor Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, select Linux tab, add a new entry for Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit on sda5, select the Grub boot loader option, and check the box labeled, "Grub isn't installed to the boot sector"(as illustrated in FAQ link http://neosmart.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=754&d=1237655670). When I reboot and select the Ubuntu 9.10 entry, the error message is “File system type is ext2fs Partition type 0x83”. Reading the FAQ again I find, “If Linux is on the same HDD as Windows "system" (boot) files, then you do not need to tick the box. The chaining will be done directly without Neogrub being needed.”

Attempt 2: Same as attempt 1 except I do not check the box labeled, “Grub isn’t installed to the boot sector”. This time no error message, just a blank screen. I google and find The Linux Space website suggests using neoGrub.

Attempt 3: Delete entry of attempt 2, click neoGrub tab, click install neoGrub, click configure, enter the following lines, and save.

default 0
timeout 1

title Chainload into GRUB v2
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

When I reboot and select the neoGrub entry, error message is same as attempt 1, “File system type is ext2fs Partition type 0x83”

2 months ago, my total knowledge of Linux consisted of six commands: cp, mkdir, rm, cd, mv, pwd, which I've used for many years on an HP linux workstation to execute one software application as part of my day-to-day job. I’ve found posts where others resolved this issue, so I tried the above attempts again without success. Ubuntu is rapidly becoming my favorite OS. It’s frustrating to be stuck on this after successfully setting up a 5 OS boot system with little or no difficulty by reading posts and documentation. Did I make a mistake with the sda or hd0 count? Thanks in advance for suggestions to resolve this issue.

Doug

Doug, try the following for chainloading with NeoGrub:

title Chainload to grub2
find --set-root /boot/grub/core.img
chainloader /boot/grub/core.img

Kairozamorro,

I edited C:/NST/menu.lst with notepad, inserting the following text,

default 0
timeout 3
title chainload into grub2

When I reboot, the title "chainload into grub2" appears and the system halts. Ctrl-c and Ctrl-alt-delete have no effect. I touch the power button to shutdown.

Doug

Ok, what about this?

title Chainload grub2
map --mem /boot/grub/core.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1

Kairozamorro,

I performed a copy & paste to avoid typing errors. I still have a blank screen upon reboot with neoGrub. Grub2 supports "bash", would you recommend erasing all text except the title, enter the interactive mode and typing commands to observe the effect? I viewed a list of commands by pressing the tab key, however I'm not familiar with them.

I attached screenshots of the boot and grub folders. What may I do to check the integrity of core.img? Shall I reinstall Ubuntu 9.10 Beta?

I forgot to mention, the md5sum of the iso download was verified, and the burned disk passed the imbedded integrity check that comes up when it is booted.

Thanks, Doug

Attachments

• boot.png
    boot.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 26
  • grub.png
    grub.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 20
That might be a little hard, since grub2 is under beta too.

Yeah Doug, enter the command prompt and type it in line by line excluding the title line. Does find line return a location? Type "boot" after you've entered those commands to attempt booting if you weren't getting any errors. You might need to revert to an ext3/ext2 filesystem before it well work. You could also try renaming the core grldr, placing it on the root of the partition, and chainloading it from there instead.

Last edited:
Success

I can now boot Ubuntu 9.10 Beta and I'm writing this reply within a fresh OS. I tried everything you suggested to make chainbooting the ext4 file system work. See details below. Finally, I reinstalled 9.10 Beta with an ext3 reformat, kept only a title record in C:/NST/menu.lst which then opens grub CLI, and manually entered the following,

root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
boot

With that, Ubuntu 9.10 Beta finally launched. I'll configure neoGrub with those commands and this thread is resolved. Perhaps I should post a Karmic Koala bug report?

Here's what happened when I used grub CLI in attempts to make ext4 work:

grub>root (hd0,4)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
grub>kernel /boot/grub/core.img
(hard freeze, power down to restart)

grub>root (hd0,4)

grub>find --set-root /boot/grub/core.img

Launch Ubuntu 9.04, refer to Mark Sobell's book to set root password, login to root, mount /dev/sda5 and copy /boot/grub/core.img to /grldr and /grldr.img (is file extension required?) Using grub CLI again, this is what happened when I attempted to make ext4 work,

grub>root (hd0,4)
grub>ls
(directory and file list includes grldr and grldr.img)
grub>kernel /grldr
Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

grub>root (hd0,4)
grub>kernel /grldr.img

grub>root (hd0,4)
grub>chainloader /grldr

grub>root (hd0,4)
grub>find --set-root /grldr.‫img
(hd0,4)
grub>map --mem /grldr.img (fd0)
Autodetect number-of-heads failed. Use default value 2
Autodetect sectors-per-track failed. use default value 18
floppies_orig=0,
harddrives_orig=1,
floppies_curr=1,
harddrives_curr=1
grub>map --hook
grub>chainloader (fd0)+1

Also note, reinstall of Ubuntu 9.10 Beta on ext3 did not end gracefully. When cd carriage opened, an infinite loop commenced with the following 2 lines,

gdm main process (nnnn) terminated with status 1
gdm main process ended, respawning

Thanks for your assistance, Doug

I'm having the same problem with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, Build 64

ubuntu-9.10-beta-desktop-amd64.iso downloaded last night.

I have (iirc but sda5.6 are definitely correct)

sda1 win7boot, sda2 win7, sda5 linux swap, sda6 ubuntu 9.10 64 ex4 , sda4 empty atm

All the partitions are primary except for the last one on the disk that I am not currently using for anything.

win7 was installed first allowing it to settup it's boot partition. grub2 was installed to sda6 during ubuntu settup

EasyBCD 2 b64 used with the linux tab, type - grub.

I've tried initially NOT ticking 'grub is not installed' and just pointing it to the linux partition it detects "Partition 4 (Linux - 21gb)"

And I've also tried ticking the 'grub is not installed' box as some grub2 easybcd guides suggested.

The result is either a black screen with boot /grub/menu.lst or a black screen with a flashing cursor only and no further activity.

Last edited:
Everything, including grub2, ubuntu, and easybcd itself are still beta. Its going to take some time to work it out.

I have a similar problem. Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 beta installed on an ext4 logical partition, in dual-boot with Vista, Grub doesn't show up, I get a flashing cursor on a black screen. I wasn't aware of the change to Grub2 till I read this thread.

One thing I don't understand: the French Ubuntu wiki says not to install NeoGrub in EasyBCD, as it isn't compatible with Ubuntu's grub?

I just downloaded UNR 9.10RC, I'm going to give it another go, this time in ext3 and I might create a principal partition for it instead of logical. Would that ease the process?

And anyone knows if it's possible to install 9.10 with the legacy grub instead of grub2? It seems to me like it would be easier.

Thanks.

Fantastic.
I just downloaded the ubuntu 9.10 RC cd, installed to a primary partition with ext4, and bootloader on THAT partition. ran windows, ran easyBC 2 (build 65)chose add new, linux -> grub 2 (no other options necessary) reboot and it worked first time :smile:

Last edited:
Well it solved my problem too! I won't have to reinstall Karmic.

I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to roll out a revision this fast! Thanks!:happy:

Back