Windows 7 Milestone 3 Build 6801 Review

Mak, I don't know if you've taken a look, but they're *all* widescreen this time around.

Windows Vista had some wide and some not, but all the Windows 7 ones in the gallery are hi-res widescreen wallpapers my friend..

I just fully loaded your wallpapers in that gallery and they were all 4:3 shown in there. Unless that is just a limitation of the Gallery to show Widescreen. Not that i look at them on my PC i see that the resolution is Widescreen.

The only one i see any issue with is the Cross-Reflected Auras which is a smaller WS. At 1152*864 for its resolution. The others i got were at 1152*720.

Still lower resolution than i need. I run at 1680x1250 so i will have to stretch them to make them fit.

So it seems that the Gallery cant do WS. Interesting.

Mak, the gallery is showing the correct aspect resolution from here... don't know why it's misbehaving on your PC.

Maybe it is Opera 10?!? I dont know. Could be this frazzled install as well. Has been giving me fun and joy over the past month.

Is it true that MS is releasing Windows 7 Beta to the public tomorrow? Found out about this on the net.

Only available to the first 2.5 million downloaders, and only available for use till 1/8/2009, from what I read.

I'm considering it, but so far haven't found where and what time (being kept a secret for now I guess)

Further Info and a Question

Found the page to download, still no time posted yet.

Question: While looking at Windows 7 features I'm wondering about Networking. What MS says "To use HomeGroup, you’ll need to have at least two PCs running Windows 7." Does this mean that it is going to be difficult to network with pc's not using Windows 7?

It was frustrating with Vista until they came out with the XP patch to be able to network.

If networking isn't available for other pcs on Windows 7, can anyone of you using it make a recommendation that they do so.

Thx

Last edited:
No you can still run Windows 7 on a home network just fine without Home Group.

Yes it will be released to the public 1/9/09.

Thx, think I'm going to give it a try.

That is unless I get frustrated trying to download with so many others trying to do the same thing at the same time. LOL

Nows a good time. Amazingly a day after its still available. Just make sure you got a msn/.passport account if you don't have a msdn membership. Its about 2.5gb. I've started the download about 5 minutes ago and its almost done :smile:

My only complaint so far is that they make you install a download manager just to download the thing. The download button also didn't work the first time after you get your product key. Just keep hitting it until it does.

Last edited:
You must have hit them at a good time.
Their server(s) seem pretty clagged at the moment, I'm getting about 10% of my normal broadband download speed, still an hour to go.

I attempted to download on the first day, but gave up.

Decided that I really don't have the time to install and test it out for a couple of reasons.

I'm working on revamping my business. This is a slow time for me now, so working on the changes at the moment. Currently working on my new website.

I've got a DVD burned ready to go now, and I'm currently revamping my HDD philosophy. I'm reducing the size of my internal backup partition on my old IDE disk, migrating the older generations of backup to my external HDD, pulling back the page file and IE cache onto the SATA, and creating new partitions for W7 and Ubuntu.
I'll be upping from dual-boot to quad-boot, so in future I might be able to offer some Linux boot advice, instead of just pointing to the wiki or leaving it to the rest of you. I'll act as a guinea-pig and test whether our documentation is as good as it could be, see if I get a working Linux without calling for help myself.
One question someone can answer before I start though. When I originally set up my dual boot I left a spare partition for Linux which I grabbed for XP apps when I expanded my XP use from ATi AIW support to full-blown XP. One reason I didn't get round to putting Linux on was because I found that I should have left 2 partitions (one for the swap) but in the last couple of days I seem to remember reading on one of the threads that Ubuntu 8 doesn't need a separate swap partition now.
Is that correct or should I allow for a small swap partition too ?

One reason I didn't get round to putting Linux on was because I found that I should have left 2 partitions (one for the swap) but in the last couple of days I seem to remember reading on one of the threads that Ubuntu 8 doesn't need a separate swap partition now.
Is that correct or should I allow for a small swap partition too ?

That is incorrect. Ubuntu 8.10 does indeed also need a swap partition, as will likely future releases of Ubuntu... :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Yep. Installation will fail if you don't have a swap on the same disk. However if you want to try multiple linux distros they can all use the same swap partition.

My plan is to repartition my laptop to try out Win 7 alongside Vista/XP for everyday stuff and than when August 1st comes i'll put back on the newest version of Ubuntu where Windows 7 was. I want Linux+ one day too, just havent had the time to read a lotta linux whitepapers.

1gb will do fine...
But if we're talking performance here like you get with a slightly bigger pagefile in Windows, than make it bigger.

How does Ubuntu Need a Swap? I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 jsut fine without a swap partition and never had any install errors. Is this somthing that they just added to 8.10?

Back