Windows 7 Milestone 3 Build 6801 Review

Terry did you need to download any drivers?
Just checked device manager in Windows 7. Don't see a single unrecognized device there. Everything appears to be installed :grinning:

Terry did you need to download any drivers?
Just checked device manager in Windows 7. Don't see a single unrecognized device there. Everything appears to be installed :grinning:

Good question. :wink: I was wondering the same thing, especially since I had so much trouble finding drivers for my Dell Studio 1535 laptop, for XP...:scared: I hope then it is the same for me that it was for you! :wink:

-Coolname007

No. It did all that automatically.
Being connected to a live router, setup just identified all the hardware and grabbed whatever it needed from WUD. It even connected to AVG and downloaded the AV for me (with a slight edit to the URL to get the free version)

No. It did all that automatically.
Being connected to a live router, setup just identified all the hardware and grabbed whatever it needed from WUD. It even connected to AVG and downloaded the AV for me (with a slight edit to the URL to get the free version)

Nice! :grinning: Maybe I wont need to hunt down drivers for Win 7 after all, like I had to do with XP...:joy:

-Coolname007

Considering that jsut about 1GB of the space Win7 uses during its install is for Drivers alone. I think that many will be covered in that department.

So when people start to gripe about Win7 taking up 5GB for install just let them know that 1GB of that is for driver support alone so they dont have to find them.

Yeah I was kinda upset with the big download seeing how the kernel is supposed to be lighter (thinking they could put win 7 on a cd), but now I see why...

Yay for driver support right away. It sure beats the hour or longer locating and installing each.

Considering that jsut about 1GB of the space Win7 uses during its install is for Drivers alone. I think that many will be covered in that department.

So when people start to gripe about Win7 taking up 5GB for install just let them know that 1GB of that is for driver support alone so they dont have to find them.

Damn! :S 1 GB, eh, just for drivers? That's a lot! :smile: Then I certainly hope that all the drivers will work then for me! :wink: Otherwise, I would be pissed that it takes up 1 GB for drivers that don't even work in my case... :smile:

-Coolname007

Most of these drivers are for legacy items and stuff like that. I mean think about it. How much hardware is out there? Every piece needs a driver. Just think about video cards alone. nvidia has how many different cards in just the 8 series. Add in the 9 series and all that and right there you have about 50 pieces.

That is just the video card. No not everything is going to be supported. No OS out there will have drivers for every piece of hardware on their install media.

Just looked and my driver folder is a paltry 50MB. So much of it got removed for me.

HELP! :smile: My Win 7 download just finished...sooner than I was excepting, I might add, since it started out saying it would take 5 days to finish, and it has not nearly been that long. :wink: Actually, just a couple minutes ago, when I checked it, I think it said it still had a day and some odd hours left to finish the downloading....but now it just finished, and guess what? :wtf: It says its 783 MBs, instead of the 3.2 (or something like that...) GBs it was at first! :S So I'm wondering if the download actually finished, or got screwed up somewhere along the line, so its now "done", and with a less file size??? :S Or could the Firefox download manager have simply misjudged the file size, and/or time it would take to complete? I understand that it is only an estimate...probably rough at best, but I don't think I have ever had a download so off from the prediction! :scared:

Can someone please explain this, if they can?

Thanks! :brows:

-Coolname007

Download didn't complete

Several reasons for this:
1) Thier servers being overloaded with requests
2) Your connection to the server/internet connection was lost temporarily.
3) Your ISP has a set limit for downloads or how much you can download at once.
4) Firefox doesn't support the download. I know with IE they had me install an add-on that was kind of like a download manager of its own in order to download the beta. Haven't tried it in Firefox.

I'd try the download again and if it continues to fail on you, give IE a try.

Download didn't complete

But that's the strange thing...:wtf: It said the download was done, without giving any kind of errors or anything...just the size (and the time it had taken to "complete") was wrong. :scared: But anyhow, I guess I will follow your advice and try IE instead...:wink: I hope it works, since the other one failed. :lup:

-Coolname007

Can the IE download resume after a broken link ?
I think WUD can, but I wasn't aware IE could yet.
I don't use it a lot, but a year ago when I was still modem connected it couldn't. I was forced then to use a freeware downloader to bypass the inability of IE7 to download AVG7 when it exceeded the size that my ISP could manage within its default disconnect time.
Opera contains a pretty fireproof download manager built right in. It can certainly be interrupted and restarted without consequence.

IE's download thingy isn't used. They make you install an activex control in IE to download. This download plugin allows you to stop/pause the download and is supposed to continue from where you left off in case the connection goes bad.

Oh yes I remember now !
I'd completely forgotten I had to do that to get the DVD.
(I suppose because it went through without a pause anyway)

IE's download thingy isn't used. They make you install an activex control in IE to download. This download plugin allows you to stop/pause the download and is supposed to continue from where you left off in case the connection goes bad.

Right. That's what I meant. I was talking about the download manager it makes you install when downloading with IE...not the standard one that IE uses for normal downloading. Were you addressing that comment to me or to Terry? I have a feeling it was the latter, but I just wanted to clarify this, just in case it was addressed to me...:wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: Just noticed Terry's post...

Last edited:
Yeah heard of it a few weeks ago. They want to get as many users as possible to be more confident in using thier new product and the changes that have been made for a more positive launch I guess.

Back