Opera? No, thanks.

Sarge

Distinguished Member
This is why I don't like Opera much, unless you can help me to set it up for my use :smile:

Here we go:

Firefox:
ff1tj7.jpg

If you enter words in textbox you can google if you hit enter, or click search button.
Clicking on search engine logo lets you choose which one you want to use for your search.
If you click search button with mouse scroll button
intellimouseexplorer1sd5.jpg

it will open Google in a new tab, and thats what I use every day in browsing, I got used to it, and I can't live without it.

Opera:
o1pm7.jpg

You can do google search if you put words in textbox and hit enter. Clicking on glasses opens another toolbar for searching, clicking on arrow lets you chose which search engine you want to use. Clicking anywhere with mouse scroll button does nothing in this area.

Firefox:
ff2hm1.jpg

2 fast clicks will get you to your bookmarked location in less then a second.

Opera:

o2kt0.jpg

I have to trough 3 menus to get to my bookmarked location. If you want to get to your location in 2 click you have to put all bookmarks in one main list, which is pretty unorganized for me.

Another option would be to keep bookmarks in menu on the side:
o3kg5.jpg

I don't like this option, Firefox can do it, and I never use it.

Home button was hidden by default, but I enabled it in main menu on toolbar :smile: So, we can scratch that :tongueout:

When I click scroll button on mouse, to scroll down on a pace, mouse cursors gets relocated in middle of a page.
Good thing in Opera is that when you click some link on a page with mouse scroll button, it opens that link in another tab, just like firefox, and that is good.

This is very cute, I'm not sure how useful, but very cute, I have to say:
o4dn0.jpg

Last edited:
The scroll click i dont know a fix for that you would have to check the opera forums. They might have a java script for that.

As for the bookmarks. That is simple. Click bookmarks, organize bookmarks. Click on the Firefox folder and click on the top link. Then hold down shift and press the down arrow to select all. The just drag and drop all teh bookmarks right out of that folder right to the other side so they will become Opera bookmarks.

Then go under the appeareance tab and click personal bar. Then just drag and drop the bookmarks up there to give yourself a place where they are easily accessable. :wink:

The Speed dial is nice. Just drag and drop your 9 favorite places in there when you click new tab it shows up so you can just click that site to go there easily.

Still prefer IE7 with Firefox a close second. I do use Opera Mini on my cell phone however, (Mobile to you guys on the other side of the ditch). It uses a lot fewer bytes than my service providers browser.

I have used IE7. It really isnt that bad. But i will only use it if i have IE7Pro installed to get rid of some ads and pop ups. There is just so much with IE that can go wrong with ActiveX and all that.

Honestly, ActiveX security myths are BS.

ActiveX apps are programs just like any other. You get prompted before you install them, and if you make a stupid decision, you may regret it later.

If ActiveX is to IE as Programs are to Windows, then Extensions are to Firefox as Gadgets are to Vista....

You can't compare apples and oranges. ActiveX is a much more extensive and capable platform you can use to write just aobut anything that comes to mind - and the cost is the risk of bad software. Extensions are more-or-less safe, but you can't do as much with them.

So, yeah, IMHO ActiveX is perfectly safe :smile:

Yes I know. But it still comes down to having to have the protection. Some people think they have it only to find out they dont. While other are so over protected they cant get anything done. There is no right amount of protection that one can have that is just right. :wink:

It just bothers me that after a install of Windows the first thing you install is a Anti-Virus. The 2nd is a firewall. After using Linux and not even having to worry about that it does raise the questions as to why we must HAVE that software. I know of the people who are the idiots that write the viruses and all that. But when there is software out there where you dont need it. Kinda makes you 2nd guess why we run software that requires it when we can run software that doesnt.

Not to mention the cost of said software. I got so mad that my rates were getting hiked again that i uninstalled my AV/Firewall. Zone Alarm is nice but not worth the $50 a year they want.

At any rate this topic isnt about protection. It is about the usability of Opera. Which sine i have used Opera since version 8.5 when it went free i can say that it is nice to have a browser like this. True some sites do appear wrong. But that is only cause Opera tries to follow some standards that other are not. Opera passes the Acid2 test. Firefox doesnt and IE is not even close. IE is the reason why most sites are coded the way they are and why the standards are not beign followed. Because M$ wanted to rule the web as well as OS's and would never let IE follow these standards. Hopefully this will change with IE8.

Addendum:

Honestly, ActiveX security myths are BS.

ActiveX apps are programs just like any other. You get prompted before you install them, and if you make a stupid decision, you may regret it later.

If ActiveX is to IE as Programs are to Windows, then Extensions are to Firefox as Gadgets are to Vista....

You can't compare apples and oranges. ActiveX is a much more extensive and capable platform you can use to write just aobut anything that comes to mind - and the cost is the risk of bad software. Extensions are more-or-less safe, but you can't do as much with them.

So, yeah, IMHO ActiveX is perfectly safe :smile:

Actually with the newer updates to ActiveX and the agreement between M$ and the California college that designed ActiveX you will no longer get prompts for ActiveX. It will jsut install like it used to. So ActiveX will become a issue once again.

Addendum:

BetaNews | Microsoft to Remove Eolas Barrier in IE

There is the news about this.

Microsoft has begun advising customers on planned changes to IE now that it has licensed technology from Eolas, however it may have accidentally let slip a release window for VIsta SP1 and XP SP3 to boot.

UPDATED The Redmond company said Thursday that it will release an update in April 2008 as part of its regular cumulative update for Internet Explorer that month. Microsoft will make the functionality available via a preview release in December.

"We are simply reverting to the old behavior," senior product manager Pete LePage said. "Once Internet Explorer is updated, all pages that currently require 'click to activate' will no longer require the control to be activated. They'll just work."

In order to appease Eolas, Microsoft made a change to Internet Explorer in March 2006 that prevented ActiveX controls from loading automatically. The functionality changed affected many popular programs that could be embedded into web pages.

So i am not going crazy. This will be a problem again. :wink:

Last edited:
No, that's not what it means.

ActiveX controls will not install without your permission, but scripts that use already installed ActiveX conrols will run without your permission.

Example of install: You're prompted to install Flash player to play a flash movie.
Example of run: You visit a site and a flash movie plays automatically.

Playing the flash movie doesn't hurt you or your PC. Installing a (unsafe) ActiveX control does.

Ahh but this is where it gets you. Having somne ActiveX controllers already installed, like you said flash, can lead to problems. There are flash based attackes out there. So having a global allow isnt the answer. There are ways for attackers to atach thigns to a flash based image. So then what? You have the ActiveX already allowed. So now you are already open for the attack.

Plus this line here:

"We are simply reverting to the old behavior," senior product manager Pete LePage said. "Once Internet Explorer is updated, all pages that currently require 'click to activate' will no longer require the control to be activated. They'll just work."

That doesn show me how we will have to allow for things to be isntalled. It shows me that they will just work. There will be no more prompts for them to work. Reverting to the old behavior is exactly what got ActiveX in trouble. Having the ActiveX controls that just installed and worked. Isnt that the way it was? Isnt that what helped prompt this whole Click to isntall activeX?

Plus a average user doesnt pay attention. You know this as well as i do Guru. They just clikc okay and get on with it. :wink: They dont really pay attention to anything. they dont read up on any documentation or anything that is useful to them. They just keep clicking then wonder why things are not working they way they want in the end. :lol:

Sounds very familiar. :tongueout:

Flash-based exploits can be written to also affect Opera and Firefox users.

As for "the user always presses yes" - Definitely true - but Firefox is just as susceptible to that. Opera doesn't have extensions in that way (you have to go out of your way to install them.... which is both a good and bad thing) but in Firefox all you get is a prompt to "press here to install the missing plugin" and when you do it asks you to press "Yes" just like in IE....

Same difference :smile:

That is very true. I cant argue that at all. But most of the time with Opera you can block many of the flash based images with the urlfilter. Sadly in my Opera install on Ubuntu i had to block your Chip In image cause it was crashing my browser. The Open Source version of flash was installed and created problems....

But you are right. So sadly there is no way around these things. People will continue to click and not pay attention. But at least there are those of us who do.

But overall i feel better using Opera than IE cause Opera can not be affected by ActiveX in any way. At least not that i know of. I jsut prefer to use Opera cause it is the first browser to try and follow some kind of standard. Plus it does work so nicely...

Believe me Sarge at first it seems really tough. I went from teh Fox to Opera myself. but after about a week of Opera i cant live without it. :tongueout:

Indeed people, we are all trying to find the tools that suits most of our needs. The problem is habit we get after using them a lot.

As for me, bad habits die hard :tongueout:

Well they tested Ie, Safari but not Opera. When will these people start to take Opera seriously.

On a side note the new version of Safari for Windows is out. 3.0.4 is the newest version and i must say it isnt all that bad. I have been using it since i installed it this morning. while it is no replacement for Opera it is starting to shape up to be a fine browser for Windows.

Back