Post postmark

I amazed anyone can have avoided seeing Columbo Ron!n, it's been around twice as long as you have !
He was as shambolically disgustingly untidy, as Monk is neat. It was a groundbreaking show though, in that, unlike every other detective series, it was not a whodunit. You saw the murderer commit the perfect crime at the beginning, but Columbo would see through the alibi and spend the rest of the time badgering and eventually trapping the killer.
To that extent I will concede some similarity with Monk, who frequently is in the "I know you did it, and I'm going to prove it" genre, but not exclusively like Columbo (that was the unvarying format for decades).
Monk is also sometimes in the classic "sealed room" mystery genre.
Conan Doyle invented the "suicide made to look like murder" genre in "The Problem of Thor Bridge", and CSI, Law and Order, Jonathon Creek, Poirot and Monk have all borrowed the idea in a modified form at one time or another.

I didnt exactly never see Columbo but i wasnt much of an avid watcher. I saw a couple that were aired on tv.
The only one i really remember is the one with an electric generator or something like that (i think theyre in a power plant) and he figures out that the generator wasnt actually on or something like that.
But you are right Sherlock Holmes is the first of most types of mystery. Plus, its been turned into so many different things:
I dont know if any of you saw "The Great Mouse Detective" ( my first introduction to Sherlock Holmes) or "Sherlock Holmes in the 21st Century" ( a cartoon series using real Sherlock Holmes stories but with a modern setting)
but there is nothing like the original ( though Agatha Christie's books take a close second)

In my opinion, [SIZE=-1]Monsieur Poiret doesn't even come close to Sherlock Holmes!

I was absolutely delighted when I came across a copy of all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels/novelettes in one volume (I couldn't put the book down until I'd read (and re-read) all several thousand pages in one go, give or take), but I cannot find a link to it anywhere.

The closest is this (eBook): Amazon.com: The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Collection of all his adventures; 9 Volumes in one Book): Kindle Store: Arthur Conan Doyle
There's also an audio book, but I can't locate the Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in a single volume anywhere.
[/SIZE]

I didnt mean that Poirot is like Sherlock Holmes. Hes very different
What i meant was that the way Agatha Christie's stories go (in terms of suspense and such) reminded me of Sherlock Holmes. Especially one called "The Secret Adversary" ( anyways thats just my opinion)

Hercule Poirot was a character created by Agatha Christie (British authoress now dead) - a Belgian Detective, portrayed most memorably in film by the late Peter Ustinov (Death on the Nile etc)

Guru, My copy is "The Original Illustrated 'STRAND' Sherlock Holmes" Complete Facsimile Edition, published by Wordsworth in 1989. It's a 10lb brick of a book that demands great arm muscle tone to read it from end to end, which, like you, I did several years ago.
I've also re-read it piecemeal whilst watching the Granada adaptations with Jeremy Brett as Holmes.
They are faithful almost to the letter, and most can be watched whilst speed-reading practically verbatim. There are a few which have been "heavily" adapted (Three Garridebs and the Mazarin Stone conflated into one story for instance - excusable because some of the later stories were a bit thin on plot when ACD was just doing it for the money)
Granada did the whole lot to their credit, but sadly as Jeremy Brett was near death towards the end, they adapted the plots of a few so that he had very little to do, and Mycroft was shoehorned in to the active role, but if you read Holmes as Mycroft rather than Sherlock, they're still pretty faithful.

Hercule Poirot was a character created by Agatha Christie (British authoress now dead) - a Belgian Detective, portrayed most memorably in film by the late Peter Ustinov (Death on the Nile etc)

I know who Poirot is, but i was wondering what you meant by "It's Poirot" Did you mean that Monk is like him or what?

I double-checked the spelling of "Monsieur" and ended up misspelling Poirot... Just goes to show, eh?

Well i dont know if this is it or not Guru, i found it on Amazon, the review says "every word Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote about Baker Street's most famous resident" so it might be it, i was thinking of getting it:
Amazon.com: Complete Sherlock Holmes: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Books

The one i couldnt find was Terry's wherever i look it says out-of-stock and they may be able to get it within 6 weeks. However, i did find an antique version that was used:
1- http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/078819173X?view=Details&id=nsession
2- http://www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/und/31299.shtml

P.S. Guru look at the customer image, it shows the old cover, so it may be the same one. its supposedly 1136 pages so it seems about right. :smile:

Last edited:
So the two bottom links arent the same as the one you have Terry?
I saw the one you linked but i didnt think it was the full one.

Back