Problem Dual Booting Vista & Ubuntu 8.10 with 2 Drives

Ok...so now try creating a new entry in EasyBCD for Ubuntu under the Linux tab, leaving that box unchecked and see what happens. Now that we know for sure Grub is installed to the partition, we can move forward trying to locate the source of the problem. :wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

I have personally gotten it to work with ext3, Justin, and NeoGrub (according to CG) has full support for ext3, so that's not the problem...:wink:

-Coolname007

Leaving the box UNCHECKED did it. I clicked Ubuntu in the vista boot mgr and it passed to grub. Thanks for all the help guys...great work..And i did format ext3. So can we assume that Grub did not install correctly in the first place?

Last edited:
Leaving the box UNCHECKED did it. I clicked Ubuntu in the vista boot mgr and it passed to grub. Thanks for all the help guys...great work..And i did format ext3. So can we assume that Grub did not install correctly in the first place?

AWESOME! :grinning: Glad you got it to work! And glad too I could be of assistance...:wink: I just wish we could solve the OP's problem too. I wish he would post, and state whether or not he finally got it to work.

-Coolname007

Hanging in there..

Yes I am still hanging in there working through with the Guru...

Thank you all for your continued support! I will definitely post my results.

Thanks,

Andy-min

Just curious...but have you tried using Bootpart manually yet with those commands?

-Coolname007

Addendum:

You're using BING Cool.
It specifically procludes the use of any other partitioning utility, because they'll clash with its use of non-standard methods.
The same will apply presumably to any other software which makes assumptions about the standard nature of the partitions.
You should be using BING to set up all that stuff on your system, not EasyBCD.
For example, you have a HDD claiming to have 4 primaries, 2 invisible and an extended partition containing 2 logical disks. This is not a situation which exists in the standard architecture, only in the propriatory world of BING.
If you set up a non-standard paradigm, you have to manipulate it with the tools designed for it specifically.

Looking back over this thread, I just wanted to clear this small matter up. :smile: I actually have 7 primaries on the same HDD, none "invisible" (actually hidden), though I did have 2 hidden not too long ago, and an extended partition containing 3 (not 2) logical disks (one a swap partition).

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Hi Andy-MIN,
Sorry to hear you might still be having problems. Mine is still working like a charm. (VERY IMPORTANT) I've backed it all up just in case.
All my triple booting threads can be found under "Easybcd Support". Search on
"phenix". The first one was called "still trouble with triple boot". The second one
was called "another triple boot". If you need more info email me and I will try to
help.
Hope this is of some use to you.
Phenix

How's it going? I first off wanted to say that EasyBCD is awesome! Great software and easy to use. I am having the same issue as others...i have vista on my 1st hard drive, ubuntu 8.10 on a 2nd drive. when I move the ubuntu drive to first in boot order, I can boot into it. However when the vista drive is 1, I cant get EasyBCD to boot to ubuntu. Ive tried all the suggestions here to no avail. When i choose linux in grub, it gives me error 2: bad file or directory. Funny thing is it was working perfectly with neogrub when ubuntu 7.10 was installed.

Anyway, i just joined the forum so i cant PM, could i try the beta build? Once this issue is fixed, I'd like to donate, as I feel you deserve it for such a cool program. Thanks!

EDIT: FYI, I tried setting up NeoGrub with the "GRUB isn't installed to the bootsector" option which put these options in the menu.lst:
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
Then I also tried it by installing NeoGrub and manually editing the menu.lst with this:
default 0 #Pick the task to be run if the user doesn't pick one within the time limit.
timeout 10 #Give the user 10 seconds to choose a task.

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=84db5376-f53e-4105-bbeb-ecb35ac97df5 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=84db5376-f53e-4105-bbeb-ecb35ac97df5 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

Oh, and does it make a difference if I've loaded Vista 64bit and Ubuntu 8.10 x64 as well?

Last edited:
How's it going? I first off wanted to say that EasyBCD is awesome! Great software and easy to use. I am having the same issue as others...i have vista on my 1st hard drive, ubuntu 8.10 on a 2nd drive. when I move the ubuntu drive to first in boot order, I can boot into it. However when the vista drive is 1, I cant get EasyBCD to boot to ubuntu. Ive tried all the suggestions here to no avail.

If you can boot into Ubuntu by changing the boot order in the BIOS, then that means Grub has been installed to the MBR of that drive, and not to the partition's bootsector. :wink: Now that explains at least part of the problem you're having, but 2.0 Beta is supposed to change all that, and allow booting from drives that have Grub installed to the MBR, and not just to the partition's bootsector. So let us know if using 2.0 Beta fixes the problem or if you're still having issues. You may need to post your menu.lst on your Ubuntu partition, as well as the most recent NeoGrub one, so we can make sure they are configured correctly.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
If you can boot into Ubuntu by changing the boot order in the BIOS, then that means Grub has been installed to the MBR of that drive, and not to the partition's bootsector. :wink: Now that explains at least part of the problem you're having, but 2.0 Beta is supposed to change all that, and allow booting from drives that have Grub installed to the MBR, and not just to the partition's bootsector. So let us know if using 2.0 Beta fixes the problem or if you're still having issues. You may need to post your menu.lst on your Ubuntu partition, as well as the most recent NeoGrub one, so we can make sure they are configured correctly.

-Coolname007

NICE, this worked! The 2.0 beta allowed me to set up the "GRUB isn't installed to the bootsector" option and it lets me boot to Ubuntu 8.10 (typing this from Ubuntu right now). VERY COOL, I await the full version! Thanks everyone...hope this works for everyone else as well.

So just curious, this new version actually ends up looking at the menu.lst that's located on the Ubuntu partition?

FYI, donation incoming!

Last edited:
NICE, this worked! The 2.0 beta allowed me to set up the "GRUB isn't installed to the bootsector" option and it lets me boot to Ubuntu 8.10 (typing this from Ubuntu right now). VERY COOL, I await the full version! Thanks everyone...hope this works for everyone else as well.

So just curious, this new version actually ends up looking at the menu.lst that's located on the Ubuntu partition?

FYI, donation incoming!

Checking the box "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector" is what puts the lines in your NeoGrub menu.lst to tell it to read the one on your Ubuntu partition. :wink: Glad it all worked for you, and let us know if you experience any more problems. :smile:

-Coolname007

The current build and the beta look at the menu.lst on your linux partition if you've setup neogrub automatically (ie. just adding a new linux entry) where manually doing it would require and edit to a menu.lst file in \nst.

Back