The Introduction Thread

Hi my name is Bruce and i just joined. I downloaded EasyRE as I am trying to fix someone's computer that has a virus. I downloaded the software (44Mb) but the description said it was 150Mb. I cannot use the command prompt as it will not accept any commands. I tried to post but cannot find how to start a thread to get help. no searches on faq return anything so I hope someone responds here to give me a little help. Reply would be appreciated. kind regards, Bruce

Hi and welcome to Neosmart.

Just go here: Windows Recovery CDs and click the "Post new Thread" button.

(Click image below to enlarge to see what I mean).

If you didn't see it before maybe you weren't signed in.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1

My Self Bhaumik i am 26yr old i am based in Mumbai, IND, i Like to Read book's, Article. and making New Friend's

I moved your thread to the introduction thread. Welcome to the group. Any questions start a new thread in the appropriate area of the forums above, thanks.

Hi, glad to help anyone I can with what limited knowledge I have if even in a limited way and maybe I can help someone make their computing a little less limiting. I guess my first post was a plea for help and is ongoing. Frustrating since I had a dual boot machine set up for a friend and after a couple days she wants her machine back and I don't want to give it back broken. Was even gong to try and introduce her to Linux. Visit my thread if anyone can help.

My 1-post wonder post. :wink:

The first computer I built was an AMD 80286 8Mhz (12MHz turbo!) with 4MB of RAM ($100/MB in 64KB chips that each had to be inserted in 18-pin sockets on the motherboard), and when I went to a larger hard drive than the 40MB drive I built it with, the 200MB drive I added was $700. Just some perspective for people that don't realize how much faster and cheaper computers are now.

Great !
We haven't traded any "Four Yorkshiremen" yarns in ages.
"40Mb - Luxury !"
When I were a lad int' Computer Mill, we had to load a quarter ton of 2316 packs into 4 banks of 8 drives of 2314 storage just to manage to scrape up a measly 890Mb. We'd have shot our Grannies for a 40Mb disk drive !

I hope I can get some useful tips off this site. I have recently purchased a new computer with Windows 8, after using a 6 year old XP system. It has taken a lot of time to get used to the new layout. My present problem is I cannot import my long list of e-mail contacts into Windows Live Mail. It has accepted my Facebook contacts, but not my e-mail ones. Surely I haven't got to enter them all separately. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the group. Whilst the question should really go elsewhere than this Intro thread....

Well according to Google you can import XP/OE6 address book into WLM easy enough....

To import contacts from Outlook Express in Windows Live Mail:

Select Go | Contacts from the menu in Windows Live Mail.
You may have to hold down Alt to see the menu bar.
If you want to import Outlook Express contacts from a different computer or old Windows installation:
Copy the desired .wab file from the computer or installation to the computer running Windows Live Mail.
Select File | Import | Windows address book (.WAB) from the menu in Windows Live Mail.
If you want to import contacts from Outlook Express installed alongside Windows Live Mail:
Select File | Import | Address book for current Windows user from the menu in Windows Live Mail.
Click OK.

Method 2 stolen from Microsoft Forums MVP Bruce Hagen:

Transferring data from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail: For messages:
Copy the *ENTIRE* OE message store folder to a flash drive. (Folders.dbx must be included). Place this on the Desktop or other location on the machine using WLMail. Open WLMail and: File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and point to where you saved it.
OE Message Store Location:
In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.
In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
For Addresses:
Open the Address Book in OE and File | Export | Address Book (wab) and save it to the Desktop. Copy to a flash drive. Place this on the Desktop or other location on the machine using WLMail.
Open the Contacts list in WLMail, (Go | Contacts on the Menu Bar), and File | Import | Windows Address Book (wab) and point to where you saved it.
Note: If you use a CD or DVD instead of a flash drive, after placing on the new machine you must remove the Read Only attribute in Properties before you import.

Last edited:
Back