The Introduction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya,

I joined up here due to a bad encounter with Vista and XPpro install. EasyBCD kicked butt. That's pretty much summed up. So I decided to say what a great app this is and it is. Well, I work on computers part time, so EasyBCD is great for fixes that would otherwise take too long. I also do a lot of graphical work using Gimp, some may have seen my icons for Malwarebytes Anti malware, among many others along with web site art as with Security Cadets site to name just one... and graphics for others. It's more of a passion than anything. That's pretty much it. Glad to have joined a friendly forum such as this.

GG

welcome gimpguy ^__^

i love gimp ^__^ i cant use photoshop for the life of me, but i can use GIMP ^__^

Sorry to say i am a Photoshop guy. I have tried GIMP but cant get it to do the things i do in CS3 as easily.

Photo shop

I have nothing against PS except the price, plus I've never used it, likely due to the fact I could build a great PC or two for the price of it. I got hooked on Gimp a year an a half ," maybe a bit longer" ago. Using it is just like walking to me, don't know if I could go to Photoshop if I wanted. Here is something I made some time ago in Gimp...

old knife by ~Comicfan2000 on deviantART

Everything in my gallery is all from scratch including the link above , no images used .I made my Wilber avatar up there from scratch too. These are just some of the things I've made , likely a couple thousand, including buttons, icons, banners, etc... I just have fun with it I suppose, just a hobby. I think there are 4 paintings I made in Art rage some time ago, and maybe one inkscape art, a camera. Otherwise all others are Gimp. These are mainly my earlier works though so I have improved alot since.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
You got some great work there mate. Much better than i could do in PS. Have to get you to do up some tuts or something on how to use GIMP effectively. Everything i have found just isnt that good.

Well I haven't used either, but I must say that picture from scratch is something of great artistic ability for sure.

Thanks

Thanks.
I do have an artistic background with painting, drawing, etc... so I know that comes into play. Digital is much cheaper, I can erase any time I screw up, so I really enjoy the digital art .

I used to make tuts all the time on GimpDome, "aamof if you saw the picture of the water that's one there is a tut for", likely they are still there along with numerous others from some very talented people. I don't do many tuts any more since I'm too busy but maybe in the near future. Next year I am teaching a Gimp class at our local college, we'll see how that goes. :scared:

Paul

Wow, Paul, you've got some really nice work in your deviant profile!

Some serious talent there! :smile:

^ hiya matt ^__^ welcome and have fun

---

GimpGuy! thats amazing stuff! i am no where near that good lol

love the sceneries the most!

Wow, Paul, you've got some really nice work in your deviant profile!

Some serious talent there! :smile:

Thanks :grinning: Those were basically my first Gimpings when I started. I think the Bowl was my first shot at realism, about 3 months into using Gimp, if I remember right. I've gotten much better since that time of course. The downside, realism is time consuming. The Art rage paintings, well one of them "Dark Pond" was used to help Artrage get it's Software award "way back" which I was proud of. When Artrage began using methods for people to take real pictures and paint over\edit them as if their own work, is when I quit using it.

Paul

EDIT: Hi Matt !

Last edited:
hey paul

you know they newest version is out right? GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

love your Wilber btw, im using him as my GIMP icon now :smile:

Addendum:

Wilber doesnt work well on the desktop, but for object dock, it workes perfectly! got any more high resolution icons?

id like one for Pidgin, and for Inkscape, (and maybe KMlite) those are the only icons on my object dock that are not high rez, and they look like crap compared to all those nice shinny ones

Last edited:
Yep

Yep, I do have some. Great to hear you like the Gimp icon, I made it for my Rocket Dock icon and yep, I have the latest Gimp .

Here are some icons I quickly made for myself until I get the time to make some good ones, if you want, you can use them. When I make some good ones, I'll post them. NP. Also, is a better res Gimp icon, 256X256. Just click on the images to enlarge.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
That's some incredible work, Paul!

Do you think you could do some icons for NST in the future, for a new application maybe?

I love the fact that you have peas in your waste bin !
Here's my own pathetic effort at designing my own "home" Icon. (zoomed and saved as jpeg so you can see it without the aid of a microscope)
It's a standard low-res 48x48 Icon, but it is an accurate scale representation of the cottage I live in, part tiled, part thatched, even down to the widening path outside the front door.
I've made a few others for apps that don't provide one (or where I hate the one provided) but they're all equally low-tech. (a hang over from the time of W9x, and the desire to keep consumption of system resources as frugal as possible, plus my earlier system programming habits of cramming the most information, into the smallest possible memory)
The piece of self design I see and use most often, is my selection cursor (replacing the pointy finger which always obscures what you're trying to see)
It's designed like the precision select sniper sight, but with extra white bits so that it doesn't disappear as it goes from dark to light backgrounds. Shown here zoomed as a jpeg over different backgrounds, it looks extremely clunky, but at normal size on a 1680 x 1050 screen, it's a very precise selection tool.
I also have an animated version which wipes round clockwise going red, for system busy, but I don't use it now because I quite like the Vista circle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back