The Introduction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Came for the tech advice; stayed for the atmosphere. Random web browsing is what brought me here yet now that I think about it creating a thread over Windows trashing my hard drive doesn't seem like a bad idea...

I have been a tech enthusiast literally my entire life. Taught myself to read on these do-hickeys back when all my favorite games came on the Real floppy disks: 5 1/4 inches of fun!! Now I am double majoring in Comp Sci & IT. The vast majority of my computer knowledge comes from "oooh, what does this button do??" and actually reading manuals. Funny how that gives me more technical expertise than 95% of the user base (not to sound arrogant but I work for a Help Desk and experience tells me that is an accurate statistic). Yet I still feel as I have only seen the tip of the iceberg and there is so much more to learn about these wondrous gadgets. Looking forward to working with you.

Xenix

Hey Xenix, welcome to the forums!

We're always looking for enthusiastic tech-heads of all types to join our numbers. And speaking of "hey, what's this button do?" well, that's how I learned everything myself! It's far more important than anything they'll ever teach you in university (not they you don't learn anything important there though).

Welcome aboard :smile:

Hi all,

I Wish I could have more time to stay and to know someone.

i just sign up right now.. because i really like freeBSD a lot.. but i didn't like the freeBSD boot manager. so i would like to try easyBCD right now.. and i found your software from google, search.. actually i'm trying to make dual boot w/ OS X too.. great from JAKARTA, INDONESIA..
-andy-

i just sign up right now.. because i really like freeBSD a lot.. but i didn't like the freeBSD boot manager. so i would like to try easyBCD right now.. and i found your software from google, search.. actually i'm trying to make dual boot w/ OS X too.. great from JAKARTA, INDONESIA..
-andy-

Welcome Andy and good luck. Any questions don't be afraid to ask in the EasyBCD section.

Hi Guys'
I've owned computers since DOS 3.1 and the "good old" 51/4" floppies back in '86 (bought at Computer Warehouse in Manhattan).
Never stopped learning about the beast since then. I also do a bit of editing for Wikipedia when I'm not busy browsing the Tech websites.
Retired with nothing else to do LOL.
Frank

Welcome Frank from another retiree. I really hate to admit that my first venture into the world-wide web was through WebTV.....ouch. That was only 11 years ago too. I've graduated a bit since those days...LOL.

Greetings Earthlings!

As "Computer Guru" will testify, I didn't back into this hesitantly - I slammed into NeoSmart (and EasyBCD - which is a Nobel Candidate if there ever was one!), head first. And I think something cracked. Not my head - it's too thick!

Seriously, I met the Guru on a different forum where he had made the heinous mistake of actually being straight-shootin' honest about something. Since, as we all know, no good deed goes un-punished, every half-baked Nancy-boy on that forum had to grind his chops on how brutally "insensitive" he was being.

Now I have a very good sense of smell. I can smell B.S. a long way off, and these postings absolutely REEKED - take my word for it! So I felt it necessary to come to his defense, uphold the honor of another straight-shooter, and tell the rest of these folks to toddle off and take their Prozac.

Supposedly, the best test of someone's intelligence is the degree that they agree with you. This being the case, I suspect that the Guru thinks I'm a genius! (just kidding!)

Anyway, here I am - and it looks like a lively bunch! Glad I fell in to this.

What say ye?

Jim

Last edited:
You leave me tongue-tied, Jim. I'm certainly glad we "met" and welcome aboard :smile:

@Ex_Brit. We can fix the problem with "the other place" charging. . . . All we have to do is take away their credit cards!!

@Guru.
Sorry about that - however if I bring my forceps and a strong light, and Ex_Brit brings a long set of tweezers, we can probably get that tongue of yours untied. Though it will probably hurt!

@henfracar.
Boy can I "feel yer pain"! I can tell you horror stories of IBM 026 keypunches that will curl your hair!

Every time you wanted to key-punch something that wasn't an alphabetic character, a comma, a period, or a double-quote, you had to hold down the "multi-punch" key and hit the sequence of keys for the rows on the punch card for the character you wanted! And I was programming in FORTRAN - which uses a LOT of non-alphabetic characters!!

And my 8" floppy can beat-up your 5" floppy! (grin!)

I've been messing with Electronics, and the like, since Compactron Tubes were "bleeding edge" and integrated circuits were classified drop-dead secret. (And gasoline was 23 cents a gallon!!)

(Old Man's Voice) "Well sonny, I remember back when we had wood-burning computers!!"

You gotta laugh! I went to the Kennedy Space Center a number of years back - pre 9/11 - and we were taken to the Mercury Mission block-house where the ground controllers were. All that equipment that was soooooo bleeding edge back then - today it should be in the Museum of Natural History - in the fossil section. . . . It's absolutely amazing how far we've come in the few years I've been alive. From black-and-white television with a 10 to 14 hour broadcast day, to watching live Russian TV while here in the States - in color - with 5.1 sound - on your "droid' - that fits in your pocket.

Wow!

Jim

Addendum:

Guru. . . .

What's with this "Apprentice" B.S.?!! "Apprentice"? I'll show you "Apprentice"!!! What with the experience I have, (and as hard as my thick skull is), you'd think I'd rate - at least - "Steel-Pillar"! (LOL!!)

How many posts do you have to submit before people start taking you seriously?

Jim

Last edited:
Click on "members", sort on "posts" and scroll down. You'll see the rankings and the change points.

Hi all,

I am new here and yess I have a cry for help right now. I hope people can help me now and hopefully I will be able to help other people in the future.

See you around

Welcome to the forums, Sungsam :smile:

Addendum:

... and, Jim, I must have spent 5 minutes laughing after reading your post at 2am...

Last edited:
Addendum:

... and, Jim, I must have spent 5 minutes laughing after reading your post at 2am...

@Guru:

That's the whole idea.

Seriously now, If I can't make at least ONE person crack a smile, or laugh, in the course of the day, I feel like I shoulda' never got outta' bed.

Life is much too serious, what with all the Horse Hooey going on in Washington, the Middle East, India, Pakistan, (etc.), that if we don't get a chance to laugh - we're severely doomed.

p.s. My latest project is using 2k8Server-R2 with HyperV to help migrate another server to 2k8-R2. As handy as EasyBCD is on "real" hardware, it's worth it's weight in Royal Wedding Cake when used in a virtual environment. It makes binding and un-binding particular virtual disks to particular virtual machines almost child's play.

And it would be child's play if I could convince my fingers to actually hit the key I was aiming for!!!! :S

What say ye?

Jim

Addendum:

Click on "members", sort on "posts" and scroll down. You'll see the rankings and the change points.

Did that. And boy was that depressing. . . . .

I guess with my measly 12-or-some-odd posts, I rate as P.O.S., Rank Newbie, or "He's only in it for the Beer."

I cannot even imagine getting to the 300,000 gazillion postings needed to become even a polka-dotted wizard, let alone the Platinum, encrusted with diamonds, rubies and emeralds wizard that some of you folks are.

Maybe what I need to do is get myself an avatar that looks like it came out of a bad science-fiction movie, like Ex-Brit's!

P. S. @ Ex-Brit. I'm in Worcester MA. Maybe we should get together at a Neutral Pub sometime soon? Then you can tell me how absolutely GHASTLY the "yank" version of Guinness is over here. If it's anything like the "American" version of Baltica #7 (A Russian beer that I think is actually DRINKABLE), it should probably be on the EPA's Superfund List as Toxic Waste.

Baltica #7, in Russia, is actually a decent beer. (And coming from a long-time beer-hater, that's saying something!) Over here, that's a horse of an entirely different hue. It's incredibly bitter by comparison, and tastes absolutely foul into the bargain. Though watching the tadpoles swimming amongst the algae looked interesting. . . .

What say ye?

Jim

Last edited:
Nice thought but I don't travel well at the moment - just getting over an illness. Thanks anyway. We get genuine Irish Guinness here and the local beer is good - Molson Canadian + 100's of assorted brands & imports of course, but it's been a while since I ventured to the pub, I hate to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back