TV Shows and Cars

Yeah, the bulkiness/size/shape/general ugliness of the SCART connector is my biggest problem with it...

SCART includes both audio and video? I seem to recall once hooking up the video via SCART, but the audio via the digital audio cable to the Dolby receivers...

It depends on the device, the DVD player on one of the TV's in my house connects to a older DVD player an plays sound an video, but the one before that had one connection for audio an one for sound.

My old PS2 connects by scart an plays both sound an video.

Yea it's on the pins some of the cheaper cables have all the pins but don't have the wires soldered internally on that horrible ugly connector :|

SCART has a couple of good points over alternative (earlier) AV connectors.
1) It contains a signal pin which instructs the connected TV to switch inputs. (So when I play any one of the connected DVD, VCR, or DHDD recorder/players, the TV automatically switches to the new incoming signal, then back to the original TV channel when the AV input is stopped - No need to search around the AV1/2/3 menu to find the appropriate input)
2) because it's big and clunky, you can make your own custom cables with a standard miniature soldering iron. The smaller and neater the connector, the more difficult to make connections.

If you're interested, here's a crib-sheet I made some time ago
(and yes it is audio and video)

Last edited:
Interesting about that signal pin, that's certainly ingenious!

btw, I took the liberty of converting your 1.9MB bmp file to a 26kb PNG - hope you don't mind :smile:

I couldn't believe how clunky SCART is when I helped my hosts in the UK hook up their new DVD recorder and the TV. I'm glad there are now alternatives. What with their clunky power plugs and then that I thought my God, this is like living in the middle ages.

Terry your attachment gives me a forum error for some reason.

Addendum....it works now. Clever...!

Last edited:
"hope you don't mind"

Not at all - can't quite think why it's bmp anyway ? - probably created with a very old (ME) version of Paint

Last edited:
I remember i used Scart for my satellite reciever and it had audio and video. But the quality wasnt that good.

depends on the type of SCART Ron!n. It's just a plug/socket. If your box uses the component video standard, then it's the same as using the individual component leads, they're just inside a different plug and won't improve the quality. If however the SCART I/O on your machine is RGB, then the quality should be a step-up.

The Andromeda Strain, its based on the book. Did any of you read it? If so what do you think of the mini-series?
The Andromeda Strain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain(2008_miniseries)

Strange you should mention that. This afternoon I just finished watching the new mini-series which my PVR had recorded earlier.

I remember the original movie with Canada's Kate Reid as being quite good.

This version was good, but the scene in the core of the project when that scientist was trying to reach a control panel to stop the self-destruct was a bit bizarre. Why were all those "bits" falling around all over the place? Why was the place falling apart just before a bomb was due to go off? The original had lasers defending the core, which to me was more realistic.

I jsut got that as well. I started to watch Andromeda last night but then it was bed tome for the baby and i missed part 2. So i watched it today. I liked it.

Not me i am still suffering from a heart attack from the new episode of battlestar, finally a week ahead of the USA :grinning:

Back