Using NeoGrub to hide Vista partition from XP

Ah now I get you...! Code box...?

Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
# [url]http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD[/url]

default 0
timeout 0

title Boot XP - Hide Vista
hide (hd1,1)			# SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr	# SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

# Optional section
#  If you include this section, you will see a second bootloader menu!
title Boot XP - Unhide Vista
unhide (hd1,1)			# SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr	# SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

Sorry, just figured out that the # is what you meant for "code box".

It should have still booted OK surely, even though I told Grub to hide the wrong partition?

Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File 
# 
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\menu.lst 
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries 
# [url]http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD[/url] 

default 0 
timeout 0 

title Boot XP - Hide Vista 
hide (hd1,0)            # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE 
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr    # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION 
boot 

# Optional section 
#  If you include this section, you will see a second bootloader menu! 
title Boot XP - Unhide Vista 
unhide (hd1,0)            # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE 
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr    # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION 
boot

This should work if NTLDR is on the first drive of the first partition. If it isn't then what drive is it on?

I had to give myself permission but I changed menu.lst. No change, still a Grub screen if I pick XP. I wouldn't have thought hiding the wrong partition would have caused this.

I got this until I gave myself permission.

Yeah that is a Windows Vista error, since to EasyBCD this is the equivalent of a System File, I have EasyBCD coded to tell Windows to treat it and other bootloader files as such.

Again, is ntldr on the first partition of the first drive?

Reading that code file..."This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\menu.lst"

It's actually at C:\NST\...

Yes, that's just a typo. EasyBCD 1.61 uses c:\menu.lst instead.
What "GRUB" screen do you get?

I was hoping to take a picture of it with my cell but it wouldn't cooperate - it locked up so it really isn't my favourite day today, so here goes in long hand..

Black Screen

Grub Version 0.93n (639k lower .. /3512511k upper....
[minimal BASH-like line editing is supported for the first word, TAB lists possible command completeion. Anywhere else TAB list possible completions of a device/filename]

or words to that effect.

and.... I trust you'll tell me exactly what I must do...! I thought this would just be a case of sticking in the XP disk and fixmbr or something similar...then of course I'd have to fix Vista boot etc etc..? ex_brit AT rogers.com

Which would normally be fine but obviously now that it's called Live Mail Spamcop can't pop the darn thing out. I forwarded it to my rogers.com addy.

Just one question, how do I uninstall grub from a partition that I can't boot into in the first place because of Grub?

Live Mail... I take it back....it came through after all. There's only that one problem. I can install 1.61 on M drive but I can't uninstall anything from C drive.

It dawned on me that it's getting late where you are so you are probably tired.

Wait until tomorrow.

In the worst scenario I can always format C and reinstall XP....although that would be a huge undertaking as I have hundreds of things going in there.

No, there is absoloutely nothing wrong with your XP.

By adding a new XP entry in EasyBCD you can boot right into it - no problems :smile:

Now if you want to hide Vista, Don't worry about removing GRUB, just install NeoGrub again with 1.61 and see if it does the trick.

Thanks but you haven't answered my question. How do I uninstall something when I can't sign into that system? Do you mean delete the 52kb Neogrub item in EasyBCD's bin in C: ? Then write that stuff to it. I can also access the Uninstall shortcut in C: for EasyBCD.

Also overwrite everything in that section with what you sent me?

Re: EasyBCD 1.61...looks nice but I can only install it on M right now. Unless...can I cross-install from M to C??

OK - EasyBCD auto-detects the boot drive.

If you install EasyBCD to M:, it'll know that C: is the boot drive, and as such it will install NeoGrub to there.

So, yes, delete the 512kb neogrub file in C:\NST\
Run EasyBCD 1.61 - delete the old NeoGrub entry in the Add\Remove Entries
Install NeoGrub
Configure :smile:

Well thanks to you entirely CG because I am not too sure exactly what I did wrong/right/you-name-it because I'm not used to working cross/system so to speak. Anyway, I am now booted back into C: XP Pro and I think I'll forget about the Neogrub for now if you don't mind....I have a severe headache!!
Re: Bitlocker, I have a new flash drive arriving soon which will hopefully be seen by the BIOS.

There's just one small thing...my XP "looks" different. All the Windows Exploder pages are opening small so I have to expand them and "My Computer" used to have each section separated unlike it is now (see below). What would cause that...the dreaded Grub-itis or what?

Back