I Need My Head Examining

that watch looks amazing, especially how they fit in all those parts.
I wouldnt mind taking it apart.
BTW does it run on batteries or on atmospheric pressure like yours??

It winds up initially, giving a 50 hour reserve, then maintains spring tension by body movement I think.

Addendum:

Now I look again, I can't find any evidence that it does anything other than conventionally wind-up.

Last edited:
Quite. Agreed on all points. Mind you I can't resist the odd spelling-correction foray into Wikipedia now and again.
I'm not talking about Anglo/American English spelling differences, but really blatant ones. It never ceases to amaze me how people with supposed MA's and PhD's misspell things.

Addendum:

It is a manual windup...the wonder is in the movement itself.

Last edited:
To each is own, like cars, clothes, and jewelery, i think it tells alot about a person's taste and other refined attributs they can hold. And i think refinement is unattainable in itself or never a lack of in society. Mind you that i don't own a car anymore as i sold it in 2006, i felt it was getting nonsense petrol costs. When people ask me about my watch and how i got it, it just makes me laugh, cause i can tell that they know nothing about time ....and the curiosity is tinted with mere jealousy, and even improper to even ask as it's not their business really, i just end up saying it's a gift i got from someone very special (myself??) then they glimpsed at it, "What kind is it??"..."Breitling Cosmonaute" i reply...and you can tell they don't know the swiss chronograph...then the BIG Question..."How much did you pay for it"...and i always say to that..."alot" or "expensive" and some even go on to be so jealous to continue by saying "is it a real one"...i reply, "if it's not a real one then why is it steel engraved certified swiss chronometer on the back of it???" Mostly i don't show it off, like i show off my grilfriend, per say, but precision engineering comes with a price tag, and value, just like there's a difference in quality of engineering between BMW, and GM. or any product i think. But jewellery is very personal, like music or Art i think.

Addendum:

The reason why i actually own one and wanted one for a long time is that in my engineering books when i was studying way back when, they're was a part about mechanical movement in the chapter "Mechanical Systems" and i found out that keeping time in GMT is the outmost historical complexity of all humanity and still dwelled with even to this day..even with NASA.

Last edited:
But jewelery is very personal, like music or Art i think.
but art is made to be shared and displayed in a gallery not holed up in some 90year old guys house who can't see anymore but just wants it as a bragging right

some things are worth the envying eyes it brings along with it such as fast cars and big homes some watches could be classified under that too but the real question is :
is wearing a $XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX watch worth getting pissed off every time you accidentally bang it on the counter or forget it on the sink and ppush everyone out of the way too get to it as fast as you can
speaking with personal experience if i purchase a watch no matter how cheap or how useless i still get pised everytime it gets scratched or something
besides the world is filled with morons who can envy you for something that they themselves can afford but just becasue they didn't think to buy it first or bedcasue it looks good on you
i go to school with a bunch of saudi's who are extremely rich but yet i still recieved looks of envy from other people in my class even though the watch wasn't expensive (i said recieved because during my final exams the strap ripped and the watch fell face down on the tiled floor and the screen cracked)
AMW-704D-7AVDF_CD.jpg

but you have to admit it loks cool

Addendum:

the worlds largest clock face currently resides in:
#1-Istanbul Turkey it is called cevahir mall clock
second place
#2- located on the jersey waterfront, the Colgate Clock
third place
#3- the flower clock of Tehran ,Iran

Last edited:
yeah, it does look cool! aligator, i like the detail on the clock hands, that's a neat add-on, and to have the temp. display. If reliability is what your looking for, Qwartz watches are very reliable. In the Art World, there are many, many people that you read in the newspapers sometimes, are 96, multi-rich, blind, deaf, impaired and so on, BUT they have a 1942 Jackson Pollock in the Living Room, and make it so that art brokerage or the black market never gets they're hands on it...(usually these people are very lonely too, and most of the times the cheapest tippers at the local restaurants...)

And, when breaking, mishap or just plain out destroying something i truly cherish, no matter the value, i get pissed off at myself...believe me it happened many times in the past...!!!
Hope you give yourself the time to find your watch back...
Cheers

thanks for your appraise simonb i still have my watch and luckily the 1`year warranty is not over but i sadly didn't have enough time to get it repaired before leaving on vacation and the warranty isn't covered on Jordan; but I'm gonna have to hurry when i get back to get it to the repair place cause i'll be cutting it close with the warranty time

speaking of warranties about a month ago my phone (a nokia n73) defected the keystick in the middle got stuck while it was pressed down and became very sensitive to the slightest touch even the slightest movement while it was in my pocket would make it call so i took it to my warranty provider (AXIOM) the warranty states that it doesn't cover spill and drop damahes or neglect; the damage on the phone could have been placed under neglect or drop (even though i don;t know how it happened) so i gave it to the guy 4 days before we leave for vacation worryig that it wo'nt finish in time het tells me it will finish within 2-3 days then next morning i call they tell me its ready i go to pick it up rxpecting to end up paying something the guy gives it to me and tells me that its working fine and that i don;t have to pay anything
the moral of the story is that not all insurance companies are scammers and ripoffs and those that aren't are pretty good

Returning to my original subject...I finally heard from the repair shop. The "Atmos Guy" has been extremely busy and should be able to give me an estimate next week...will post that info when I get it, assuming I haven't dropped dead from the shock in the meanwhile.
After that it should take 4 - 5 months to do, which is a bit longer than I thought (2 - 3 months), but I'll have to go along with it I suppose.
The alternative was sending it to a guy in the States, which would have involved more taxes, duty fees etc.
So I will just have to be patient and rack my brains how to afford all this.....LOL !!

Last edited:
wow 4-5 months the clocks price would have probably doubled by then
by the way the "guy" website does;t look very professional if you clock is more than 15-20 ears old we'll fix it yeah right come back next year once i've hit the border

wait..... you haven't valued the servicing of the clock yet??????????

I anticipate that the service/repair/refurbishment...whatever will probably cost me around $700. Who knows I might be pleasantly surprised if it's less. If it's more then I'll just sob quietly in the background...LOL.
They are OK, despite their website - after all they are appointed by all those manufacturers. They aren't there to make an impressive website but to fix clocks and watches. That didn't stop me emailing them again telling them a few grammatical and spelling errors on it....!

but seriously he seems to be 1of2 in a Continent who specializes in that stuff you're a professional look like it

The guy at "Watch Repair" up the street is apparently only 1 of a handful of people actually trained by Jaeger LeCoultre to service Atmos clocks.

I'm sure there's at least one in every major city, but not many advertise on the internet.

There is an Atmos official dealer nearby, but they send all their servicing out...guess where? Yes, you got it, the same place I took it to...LOL!

Not usually, especially when bought at auction, eBay being an auction site. It depends on what the seller is offering in the way of assurances. The only sure coverage I have there is PayPal protection which covers me in case it goes missing enroute to me or is damaged in transit or is "not as described".
The repairs and servicing that I'm having done will have a 2 year warranty, however.

Last edited:
you should check if the person who sold it to you has the original warranty or had it serviced and has the service warranty

No they don't have any of that as they, in turn, bought it second hand many years ago. But the servicing I'm having done is guaranteed.

Addendum:

I should add, that when I purchased it on eBay, there was a 14 day money back guarantee and had it not worked well when I first turned it on - which it did without any hesitation, it would have gone straight back to the seller and I would have asked Paypal for a refund.
It worked like a charm and kept reasonably good time. As it lost a few seconds each day I then realised that it should be serviced properly.
The better versions on eBay that have just been serviced have a much higher going rate....1.5 or 2k or even higher, so I think I've done OK.

Last edited:
just as long as you get to enjoy it whats sthe point of putting down 1k for something you can;t use just pay 2k and get something proper (in the end you'll probably end up playing 1k for the servicing ~~~~~~~~~~~~`although i hope not~~~~~~~~~~~~~~)

Would you believe, no. I got an email about 3 weeks ago saying that I should get one in a "week or so".

The guy who does Atmos clocks is really busy apparently.

Back