Problem Dual Booting Vista & Ubuntu 8.10 with 2 Drives

I tried all the suggestions in the last post tonight and still get the error "cannot boot from hard disk" from the boot menu. I should get a medal for persistence :x

I do not get a grub menu at all.
Can I use NeoGrub to create a menu.lst to boot from?

Thank you!

Your NeoGrub menu.lst should already exist...:wink: If you followed my directions on checking that box titled "Grub isn't installed to the bootector" under the Linux tab in EasyBCD, then NeoGrub would have been installed, and a NeoGrub menu.lst automatically created.

So please go to C:/NST/menu and post its contents in your next post so we can take a look at it. :smile:

Cheers.

-Coolname007

EDIT: Realized that I was thinking of a similar thread, where the user also had an issue with booting into Ubuntu from the Vista bootloader...
Ok, then in that case, you will need to create a new entry in EasyBCD for Ubuntu, under the Linux tab, making sure to select the correct "drive" (partition) that Ubuntu is installed to, and selecting Grub in the "Type" menu. :smile: And also check that box titled "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector" which will install NeoGrub, and create the menu.lst you might need to edit...and then post its contents in your next post! :brows:

EDIT #2: But first check to see if it works, before posting the NeoGrub menu.lst...its possible that after creating a new entry with that box checked, it might just boot into Ubuntu without any need to edit the menu.lst. :wink:

Last edited:
Hi Coolname007,

I added a linux option, chose Grub, Selected the partition0 on disk 1 where Ubuntu is and did not check the box "GRUB isn't installed...". It gives me the error "cannot boot from hard disk" at the boot menu.

I removed it and added it again, this time a CHECKED the box and it gives me a GRUB> prompt, but not sure what to do. Obviously I need to add something in NEOgrub, but not sure? A copy of my menu.lst? Anyway here is my C:/NST/menu.lst file below:

---------------------------
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!
------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO here is my menu.lst from my Ubuntu partition on hd1,0 from the directory
/media/disk/boot/grub/menu.lst on my Ubuntu partition:

-----------------------------------------------------
# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
# and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.
## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0
## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3
## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
hiddenmenu
# Pretty colours
#color cyan/blue white/blue
## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret
#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#
#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST
### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below
## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs
## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=1b3753cf-e99b-4cc4-81ab-60265ae0198d ro
## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=1b3753cf-e99b-4cc4-81ab-60265ae0198d
## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=true
## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false
## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash
## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
## lockold=true
# lockold=false
## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=
## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0
## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single
## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all
## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true
## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false
## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false
## ## End Default Options ##
title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=55802fac-16ff-45ee-80c9-17fe4ff15b37 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet
title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=55802fac-16ff-45ee-80c9-17fe4ff15b37 ro single
title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

What do you think?
Thanks again!

Hi Coolname007,

I added a linux option, chose Grub, Selected the partition0 on disk 1 where Ubuntu is and did not check the box "GRUB isn't installed...". It gives me the error "cannot boot from hard disk" at the boot menu.

I removed it and added it again, this time a CHECKED the box and it gives me a GRUB> prompt, but not sure what to do. Obviously I need to add something in NEOgrub, but not sure? A copy of my menu.lst? Anyway here is my C:/NST/menu.lst file below:

---------------------------
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to replace:
with:

title Ubuntu
find --set-root /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic ro root=/dev/sdb1
Let me know if it works or not...:wink:

-Coolname007

P.S. Are you sure that your Ubuntu "drive" in EasyBCD is partition 0 on disk 1? Remember...EasyBCD counts partitions and disks the same as your Disk Management in Vista, but there are exceptions when using an IDE/SATA drive mix. :wink: So I hope you did indeed select the correct partition that Ubuntu is installed to. Your Ubuntu partition as shown in the "Drive" menu in EasyBCD will show "Linux Native" in the same line, to prevent you from selecting the wrong one. And providing you only have one installation of Ubuntu, there should only be one "Linux Native" partition in your setup...:wink: I will look back over your previous posts to try to figure out if Ubuntu is indeed partition 0 on disk 1 as seen by EasyBCD...

Addendum:

Ok...it seems I wont be able to discern whether partition 0 of disk 1 is right, until I can see a screenshot of the "Drive" menu under the Linux tab, in the "Add/Remove Entries" section of EasyBCD. :wink: So please take a screenshot of the "Drive" menu (Prnt Scrn button on the upper right of your keyboard), and then upload it in your next post. Please note however, that you will need to first paste the screenshot that you take in the Paint application, which should be located at Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint, and save the file as a jpeg image. :smile:

In case you don't know how to upload pics on this site, use the following steps that I describe:

1. Click the Post Reply button at the top of this thread
  2. Scroll down the page that appears, until you see the section named "Additional Options"
  3. Click the Manage Attachments button, in the Additional Options section
  4. Under the line "Upload file from your computer", click the "Browse" button, and navigate in the dialog box that appears to where you saved the screenshot, select it, and choose to upload that file by clicking the "Upload" button
  5. When the upload completes, close that extra window, and when you're done typing your post, click the "Submit Reply" button to save the post (along with the screenshot you uploaded)

-Coolname007

EDIT: And while I'm thinking about it...please post a screenshot of the "View Settings" window in EasyBCD (making sure that the Ubuntu entry in particular shows before pushing the Prnt Scrn button) and one of the Disk Management window as well. This is so I will be able to tell whether or not your Ubuntu entry itself is pointed at the "system" partition...

Last edited:
Info you requested

Hi Coolname007,

I added the lines in neogrub:

-----------------------------------
#
title Ubuntu
find --set-root /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic ro root=/dev/sdb1
-------------------------------------------

It gave me the following error in GRUB:
Booting 'Ubuntu'
find --set -root /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic
Error 17: File not found
Press any key to continue

Attached are the screen shots...

Hope this helps. Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• 1-22-09-neo.jpg
    1-22-09-neo.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1-22-09-neo-2.jpg
    1-22-09-neo-2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
Booting 'Ubuntu'

All right...so we have figured out your problem. :smile: The error 17 you're getting in this case is because "sdb1" in the NeoGrub menu.lst entry is wrong. :wink: And so we will need to figure out which disk and partition number is correct in your case.

So please post the result of entering the following in the Ubuntu terminal:

sudo fdisk -lu
This will give us an idea of your setup, and allow us to figure out which "sdxy" notation to enter in your NeoGrub menu.lst.

And as for the EasyBCD part...it looks like you did that right, because partition 0 of drive 1 (as shown in the "Drive" menu in EasyBCD) is indeed correct, since that it is the only entry that mentions "Linux Native". :wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Yes, you need to first install Grub to the bootsector of the partition that Ubuntu is installed on...presumably, (hd1,0), since that equals the second hard drive, first partition...:wink:

So now install Grub to Ubuntu's partition, with the following commands in the Terminal in Ubuntu, located at Applications>Accessories>Terminal, making sure to press Enter or Return after each one:

Code:
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hdx,y)
setup (hdx,y)
quit
exit
This should install Grub to Ubuntu's partition. :wink: Please note that the "find" command will locate your Ubuntu partition for you, meaning that you should put the disk and partition numbers it comes up with in the "root" and "setup" commands. You will need to replace x and y with whatever disk and partition numbers that the "find" command comes up, which would be presumably (hd1,0), but don't be so sure, because the drive that comes first in the BIOS, and the amount of partitions in the drive that you installed Ubuntu to would certainly affect it...:smile:

I hope this helps.

-Coolname007

And if you had followed these directions, where I told you to run those commands in the Ubuntu terminal, then do you remember which device string the "find" command returned to you? if it wasn't (hd1,0), then you will need to add whatever location it returned in each of your "root (hdx,y)" entries in your Ubuntu menu.lst. :wink:

We can't be sure that it is (hd1,0) and not some other disk and/or partition...especially when you may have swapped the drive order in your BIOS since.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
more infro from fdisk and GRUB.

I did follow your previous instructions from GRUB an it went well from that post in the past....

Here is the info from fdisk:
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9e5f01ad

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 240974 120456 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 * 240975 976768064 488263545 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cylinders, total 488281250 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x40000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 63 476150534 238075236 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 476150535 488279609 6064537+ 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 476150598 488279609 6064506 82 Linux swap / Solaris
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Here is the result from GRUB within a live session of Ubuntu in a terminal window.....
sudo grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd1,0)

Let me know your thoughts!!!!

Thanks,

andy-min

Last edited:
Well, that tells me both menu.lst-s are configured right after all! :S So it should work...>.<

Do you by any chance have an IDE/SATA drive mix? :wink: If so, then that might be the cause of your difficulty, because it confuses the partition recognizer in EasyBCD. If you are indeed using a SATA and IDE drive combination, then you could try adding new entries for Ubuntu in EasyBCD, and selecting different partitions in the "Drive" menu under the Linux tab...and you just may strike the right one. :wink: Other than that, I can't think of anything else that might be the cause of your problem, at the moment...sorry.

-Coolname007

bummer!

Well I guess that is bad news indeed :??. Both drives are SATA...
I might try doing some re-installations over the weekend and try some different things.
Thanks in advance if you can think of anything else to try or links to some installation recipes.:wink:
Cheers,
andy-min

Well I guess that is bad news indeed :??. Both drives are SATA...
I might try doing some re-installations over the weekend and try some different things.
Thanks in advance if you can think of anything else to try or links to some installation recipes.:wink:
Cheers,
andy-min

Do you know what's in that Extended partition? what volumes, and what's on those volumes? :wink: Its possible you set the mount point to somewhere else than / (the root partition), such as another logical partition within the extended one I see, when installing Ubuntu, and so your boot partition is actually not your root partition. Know what I'm saying?

-Coolname007

Last edited:
re-install blues

Hi Coolname007,

With both my SATA drives plugged in, I did a complete re-intall of Ubuntu (on SATA2). I did a manual install, created a parition with a '\' mount point and pointed to this parition to install GRUB. Modified the menu.lst in Ubuntu partition with updated hd1,0 location. Ended up using NeoGrub to get the error code below.

Got same results as I were before with the same error code:
Booting 'Ubuntu'

The above error was using Neogrub -- not using NeoGrub had worse results.:x

Question(s):
Would it help to create a small parition on my Windows disk (SATA1) and install grub there during my Ubuntu install (but keep my main Ubuntu partition on SATA2 drive)?
Another Possibility: Would it help to reorder my SATA disks physically (or my boot order in BIOS) and use GRUB to boot into Vista? Is there a forum thread out there where someone has done this?:wink:

Please advise at your convenience. Thanks!

Hi Coolname007,

With both my SATA drives plugged in, I did a complete re-intall of Ubuntu (on SATA2). I did a manual install, created a parition with a '\' mount point and pointed to this parition to install GRUB. Modified the menu.lst in Ubuntu partition with updated hd1,0 location. Ended up using NeoGrub to get the error code below.

Got same results as I were before with the same error code:
Booting 'Ubuntu'

The above error was using Neogrub -- not using NeoGrub had worse results.:x

Question(s):
Would it help to create a small parition on my Windows disk (SATA1) and install grub there during my Ubuntu install (but keep my main Ubuntu partition on SATA2 drive)?
Another Possibility: Would it help to reorder my SATA disks physically (or my boot order in BIOS) and use GRUB to boot into Vista? Is there a forum thread out there where someone has done this?:wink:

Please advise at your convenience. Thanks!

Ok...hmm. Could you please post your most recent menu.lst (both standard Grub and the NeoGrub one as well) then? As for creating a small new partition on your Windows disk, installing Grub there, and pointing the boot entry created by EasyBCD at it, yes, I think that's a good idea. :smile: It just may work...
As for the reordering your SATA disks in the BIOS...which drive do you have currently first in the BIOS right now? I assume its the Windows disk that you have first...otherwise you shouldn't be able to access the Windows bootloader at all, though you don't clarify whether or not you got this error after selecting the boot entry in the Vista bootloader. :wink:

And on a slightly different note...are you sure your Ubuntu drive is connected correctly to your computer, and turned on when trying to boot? Also, how many USB ports do you have on your computer, and have you tried changing ports to see if that fixed the problem? There was one user on here that had a similar problem when attempting to boot into his Ubuntu installation on a different drive, and he ended up trying a different USB port which fixed it. :smile: There's always a possiblity of a broken USB port, a screwed-up USB cable, or other physical problems that might be the cause of your issue...

-Coolname007

Thinking there is a BIOS issue

OK, taking a fresh approach, I plugged bothe my SATA drives so that my Ubuntu drive was at port 0 and my Vista drive was in port 1. I installed Ubuntu on the first drive allowing GRUB to be installed on the boot sector of this first drive --- essentially leaving my Vista drive alone. It installed Grub OK and detected Vista OS and added the GRUB entry in the boot menu. I can boot up Ubuntu successfully. I restarted the PC and selected to boot into Vista and got the familiar error "Error 17: File not found". Aha! Just the same error but in reverse, now!:angry: I updated my menu.lst in GRUB which had vista root located at (hd0,1) which seems a bit odd. I changed it to (hd1,0) and still get the same error. I went into the BIOS (the drives are under RAID control) and notices that my vista drive was the last item in the boot sequence. I moved it up to the third position (1. CD drive, 2. Ubuntu drive, 3. Vista drive) and Whoah -- my PC gives me the error "Missing operating system" and does nothing. So for the tie being I reverted my PC back to the previous SATA port connections and am running under Vista until i can gather more information about what to do. :|

I am thinking that my changing the boot order of these devices in the BIOS gets GRUB confused.

So I think that my problems with EasyBCD booting into Ubuntu is ultimately a BIOS issue with my Dell Dimension E520. Unless you have some other thoughts I am going follow the BIOS issue which is likely the culprit.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks!:smile:

OK, taking a fresh approach, I plugged bothe my SATA drives so that my Ubuntu drive was at port 0 and my Vista drive was in port 1. I installed Ubuntu on the first drive allowing GRUB to be installed on the boot sector of this first drive --- essentially leaving my Vista drive alone. It installed Grub OK and detected Vista OS and added the GRUB entry in the boot menu. I can boot up Ubuntu successfully.
At this point, why didn't you leave it alone, as you could boot into both OSes from Grub? :wink: Are you insistent on getting the Vista bootloader to dual-boot? So can you still boot into both from Grub, or does it no longer work after changing your menu.lst?

I restarted the PC and selected to boot into Vista and got the familiar error "Error 17: File not found". Aha! Just the same error but in reverse, now!:angry: I updated my menu.lst in GRUB which had vista root located at (hd0,1) which seems a bit odd. I changed it to (hd1,0) and still get the same error. I went into the BIOS (the drives are under RAID control) and notices that my vista drive was the last item in the boot sequence. I moved it up to the third position (1. CD drive, 2. Ubuntu drive, 3. Vista drive) and Whoah -- my PC gives me the error "Missing operating system" and does nothing. So for the tie being I reverted my PC back to the previous SATA port connections and am running under Vista until i can gather more information about what to do. :|
So is the following how your BIOS boot sequence is now?

1. CD drive
  2. Ubuntu drive
  3. Vista drive
If so then you will need (if you want to get it working from the Vista bootloader, which appears to be the case...) to put the Vista drive first, Ubuntu second, and CD drive last. I think it would work with the CD drive first, Vista drive second, and Ubuntu last too, but to be safe go with the first method. :wink: If you happen to have a CD in the drive when trying to boot, it may end up trying to boot from that instead of the Vista drive.
Next update your Ubuntu menu.lst again (or update it before switching the drives in the BIOS...), so that the root entries says (hd1,0) on all 3 entries (i.e. the generic, recovery mode, and memtest), in case you have changed it since. The reason your Grub menu.lst displayed (hd0,1) after reinstalling is because your Ubuntu drive was first, and Vista second in the BIOS. :smile: So you will need to verify that it indeed says (hd1,0) now in your menu.lst. And then try creating a new entry in EasyBCD for Ubuntu now, and see if it works. :wink:

GL and let me know if it works.

-Coolname007

Andy, during Ubuntu setup did you type in "hd(x,y)" or "/dev/sdXY" in the dialog you got when you hit the "Advanced" button?

Guru,

I am pretty sure I used /dev/sdXY notation -- but the most current install I allowed Ubuntu to automatically install grub by default in the boot sector. Thank you.

Addendum:

At this point, why didn't you leave it alone, as you could boot into both OSes from Grub? :wink: Are you insistent on getting the Vista bootloader to dual-boot?
-Coolname007

Actually, I have yet to dual boot at all ..... If you read a little more carefully to my posts. The last thing I want to be doing is playing the SATA "hokey pokey" drive game:shame:
I am convinced that the naming of my drives and paritions are getting goofed up with my BIOS since I cannot get one or the other OS to load. So I need to better understand with my computer "whos in charge" -- know what I mean. Thank you :smile:

Last edited:
Guru,

I am pretty sure I used /dev/sdXY notation -- but the most current install I allowed Ubuntu to automatically install grub by default in the boot sector. Thank you.

OK, taking a fresh approach, I plugged bothe my SATA drives so that my Ubuntu drive was at port 0 and my Vista drive was in port 1. I installed Ubuntu on the first drive allowing GRUB to be installed on the boot sector of this first drive --- essentially leaving my Vista drive alone. It installed Grub OK and detected Vista OS and added the GRUB entry in the boot menu. I can boot up Ubuntu successfully. I restarted the PC and selected to boot into Vista and got the familiar error "Error 17: File not found". Aha! Just the same error but in reverse, now!:angry:
Grub does not install by default in the partition's boot sector...:wink: You have to choose "Advanced" and then type in "/dev/sdb1" in order for it to install to the partition's boot sector. Your problem is, when you installed Ubuntu the last time, you *thought* it installed to the partition's bootsector, when in truth of fact, it actually installed to the MBR. That is why you get to Grub, when putting your Ubuntu drive first in the BIOS. So in order to fix this issue, if you don't want to reinstall Ubuntu again, you will need to run the Grub commands I gave you previously, and install Grub to whatever location the "find" command returns to you. And then it will boot fine.

Cheers, and I believe this will fix it! :grinning:

Read the comments on that page, Cool. While the original poster thought it was a SATA/IDE issues, the same issue has been confirmed with a ton of all-SATA or all-IDE users installing Ubuntu to the second+ hard drive.

Read the comments on that page, Cool. While the original poster thought it was a SATA/IDE issues, the same issue has been confirmed with a ton of all-SATA or all-IDE users installing Ubuntu to the second+ hard drive.

Maybe so...but if it installs to the first drive in the BIOS (according to this comment by Sam Brightman: "Have added a comment to bug 45989 to clarify. I think this bug is part of that one (independent of SATA). It looks like the installer chooses the first BIOS disc regardless of what kind of installation is being done."), then it would have still installed Grub to the MBR of his Ubuntu drive, since that was his first drive in the BIOS, at time of installation, which is why I told him to run those Grub commands again to install Grub to the bootsector of the partition. :wink: And obviously, that would have to be the drive it installed to, since if it had installed to the other one, it would have overwritten Vista's bootloader, which it sounds like is not the case.

-Coolname007

Back