Hello and welcome to EasyBCD 2.0!!
It’s rather hard to believe, but EasyBCD 1.7.2 has been out for over 2 years now, and we’ve been working on Version 2.0 ever since. In that time, a lot has happened. Windows 7 has shipped, ext4fs is the new cool kid on the Linux block, GRUB2 is finally seeing some adoption, VHDs are the new wow, and everyone and their grandmother want a dual-boot between Windows 7 and Windows XP.
Worry not, we haven’t been sitting on our (not-so-proverbial) behinds this whole time. In fact, the entire NeoSmart team – developers, supporters, testers, and all – have been working around the clock to make EasyBCD 2.0 the biggest, coolest, greatest, and awesomest thing ever since the invention of the MBR. And now, over a 150 beta builds later and 2 years in the making, we’re super-pleased to introduce you to EasyBCD 2.0. It’s so incredibly overhauled and improved, so stuffed-to-the-brim with features, so much of a true one-click dual-boot experince, so customizable, so powerful, and so EASY that it took a lot of self-restraint to keep from calling it EasyBCD 10.0!
What’s new, you ask? We’ll get to it. But let’s just first give you the download link, because we know you just can’t wait to get your grubby, geeky paws on it ASAP:
Download EasyBCD 2.0.1 (1337 KiB)
(Yes, it really is 1337 kibibytes in size. And, no, we didn’t do it on purpose. We’re just übercool that way!)
So, what’s new? Lots. Lots, lots, and lots of new. And lots and lots of improved. With less and less and less bugs, too. The official changelog is miles long, but here’s the stuff that we feel really shines. It’s so hard to sort them in a way that doesn’t leave one feature in the shadow of the other, but here goes:
- Complete Windows 7 support (including the pretty-boot screen!)
- Total redesign of the user interface to make the stuff you use more often easier to get to and easier to understand
- Automatic configuration and one-click setup of Windows XP dual-boots. No more mucking around w/ boot.ini and NTDETECT + NTLDR
- Support for multiple top-level Windows XP entries. You no longer need to go through a second NTLDR menu no matter how many XPs you have installed!
- Support for GRUB2 and ext4fs (we’re looking at you, Ubuntu *glare*)
- Boot from ISO images and Virtual Harddisk (vhd) files!
- Create bootable USB drives!
- Change the boot drive on your system (including all the partition management stuff) with one click!
- Rewritten OS X support (yes, again *sigh*)
- EasyBCD BIOS Extender to let you boot from network devices, specific hard disks, USBs, and more even if your BIOS doesn’t support it (thanks to PLoP integration)
- Support for multiple top-level GRLDR entries (in the same vein as XP entries above)
- Improved boot device detection, EasyBCD always runs, even if your boot device is inaccessible or the BCD isn’t installed!
- Loading indicator for lengthy operations
- Better support for loading and managing external BCD stores
- Complete EasyBCD portability. Just tell the installer where to stick it, and you’re set!
- Improved high DPI support
- Ability to create safe-mode entries
- Improved MBR repair, BCD repair, and more!
It’s been a real blast working on EasyBCD 2.0, and we’re really excited to have something we can finally share with the general public. Before we leave you and EasyBCD 2 alone together, some final words need to be said: EasyBCD 2.0 would not have been possible without the help of the entire NeoSmart team, testers, and of course, donors.
A big shout-out to Terry (Terry60), Justin (Kairozamorro), Jake (Coolname007), Alex (Mak 2.0), and everyone else that helped in providing support over the past 2 years. Crazy props to the Grub4Dos team and the PLoP developers.
And some links to keep you busy:
- EasyBCD user manual (it’s severely out-of-date, we’re updating it for 2.0 now)
- EasyBCD 2.0 screenshots
- Support forums
A Token of Appreciation?
Have we saved you a lot of time, effort, problems, and loss of limb, life, or worse? How much have you saved in support and repair costs? Do you want to say thank you? You can make a donation here: